The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are getting into hunting with crossbows and I have a question for those with experience. I bought a crossbow for the Mrs that has a crank cocking device to help her out. I bought same model crossbow without a crank cocking device for myself. I have heard that it is better to use a rope cocking device rather than just using my hands. I read online that cocking with bare hands can actually effect accuracy. With the amount of wisdom on the HPA site I thought I would ask those in the know.

Thank you,

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
What you heard is correct. When cocking with bare hands you have more of a potential to not cock it evenly. With a rope cocker, it makes it consistent every time. It also cuts the pull in half which makes it much easier. I can cock mine by bare hand if I have to, but if I do it a few times my fingers start hurting from the string cutting into them.

What crossbows did you end up getting?

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Cspot pretty much covered it. There is the potential for a tad more string to be on one side of the latch when cocking by hand. This will lead to one side of the limbs being loaded more than the other. Accuracy may suffer.

If cocking by hand, mark the center serving just above the the edge of the rail. When the bow is cocked, reference those points against the receiver to make sure the are equadistant. Just a way to double check.

Also, when you grab the string, keep the inside of your fingers against the rail with consistant pressure when cocking all the way until the string latch catches.

Many people can cock crossbows and get great accuracy. Just be aware that a consistant stroke is necessary.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great info. I knew there where very knowledgeable people here and appreciate the help.

We bought the TP Titan Exteme. I had researched them after going to different archery shops. I wanted to find something reasonable in price since I was buying two at once. The one that we bought came with the Acu-draw to make it easier for my wife, who has shorter arms. Mine I bought without the acu-draw. I can easily draw it but will use a cocking rope if it is going to make more consistant shots that way.

Thanks again for the great info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts