The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my crossbow for the first time Saturday and have a question. I noticed that when I cock the bow, it makes a creaking sound. Is this normal? It's a Tenpoint Shadow NXT...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
New bow?
Hit all the lube points first? Everything snugged down properly?
Are we talking a small amount of what would sound like "first use" or settling-ish creaking? Or more of a binding/grinding creaking?

Both crossbows I've owned made some very slight "creaks" the first 2 or 3 times I cocked them as things settled (Bear and Barnett, nothing high-end) and then quieted right down.
You're also going to get some degree of string/cable stretch over the course of the first dozen or so shots, which can contribute to some of the sounds you're hearing.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, brand new and I took the first few shots. It sounds like the limbs are creaking and it's got me freaked out. I've never owned a crossbow before so I have no idea what it's supposed to sound like. I lubed the cams and everything as directed. It definitely could be first use creaking, but its strange and since I know theres so much tension in these narrow crossbows it has me a little intimidated...

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
I would agree the noise might just be because it is new but if it is something more serious and it decides to self destruct it could be very dangerous. Just to be on the safe side I would call Tenpoint. It would be worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I would agree the noise might just be because it is new but if it is something more serious and it decides to self destruct it could be very dangerous. Just to be on the safe side I would call Tenpoint. It would be worth the peace of mind.
Good point... There's a TREMENDOUS amount of energy stored in those limbs... if you're in any doubt about the sounds it's making, a call is worthwhile.

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
Rail is lubed. I'm slacking on the call the Ten Point. Maybe this week.
Don't slack. If they think something is wrong they will want to look at it or have an authorized repair shop look at it. If something is wrong and it comes apart it could hurt someone.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't slack. If they think something is wrong they will want to look at it or have an authorized repair shop look at it. If something is wrong and it comes apart it could hurt someone.
Yea, I'm not shooting it again until I call or have it checked out.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My neighbor gave me a 2 year old 10 point crossbow for mowing his yard this year. Hes in his 70s and i doubt he used it very much. The first thing I noticed was a sound like you described when you cock it. It has this crank cocking thing on it so I could cock it and watch everything and the sound was being made by the piece that has the cables running through it on the inside of the bow rails. Check that.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I finally found out whats making the noise. I called TenPoint and they explained that there is some sort of compound under the space where the limbs connect to the stock (or whatever the connect to is called??) That compound has been replaced with another type of compound that does not allow for that sound to be produced....I had an option to send it in or take it to my local bow shop. Since I know it's nothing serious, I'm not in a hurry to have it worked on right before the season. Ill circle back after late season and have it fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts