The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spontaneously took the day off and hiked up the Blue Mountain near the Appalachian Trail this morning on some state game land. I hadn't been to this spot all year, but the prospect of some free range deer during the rut was too much to pass up. Drag line in tow I set up on a saddle shortly after light crosswind from the drag line hung from a tree.

About 10AM this bruiser comes sniffing his way right up the drag line. At 26 yards he turned broadside and I let it rip. I've never seen so much blood from a deer before. It was like a drunk tried to paint the woods red with a 10" roller. Tracking was a nonissue and I wouldn't doubt if the blood trail shows up on Google Earth soon.

Anyway, it was one of those hunts that get me through winter.

Here's the arrow stuck lightly in a branch after passing through the buck's heart:

And here's what will be my first mount:

Fritz

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
106, correct. I made a semi-educated guess on where to stop the hike based on the wind and a bedding area I know about on top and the stars aligned. Feels good when the logic falls in place now and then.......that and good ole fashioned LUCK!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Haha...great post!! Nice buck Mr. Fritz...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
mrfritz44 said:
106, correct. I made a semi-educated guess on where to stop the hike based on the wind and a bedding area I know about on top and the stars aligned. Feels good when the logic falls in place now and then.......that and good ole fashioned LUCK!
There are some nice bucks up there,they don't get a lot of pressure up top.Nice job!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Great shot with a nice recovery. Like to see a blood trail like that!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts