The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I just bought my 5th crossbow in 3 years, a Parker Enforcer. It's the only one I've been satisfied with out of an Eastman(now Carbon Express), Horton 175, Barnett Jackal, and Excal Phoenix. I live in ShermansDale, contact me if you'd like to shoot it.

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
BUCKSLAYER15 said:
I just bought my 5th crossbow in 3 years, a Parker Enforcer. It's the only one I've been satisfied with out of an Eastman(now Carbon Express), Horton 175, Barnett Jackal, and Excal Phoenix. I live in ShermansDale, contact me if you'd like to shoot it.
What didn`t you like about the Excal Phoenix? I love my Exocet 200. I rarely hear anyone say they weren`t satisfied with an Excal. Well, maybe a little bit about the width.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
A friend and I went to Cabelas yesterday to shoot x bows . We shot a Stryker and a Wicked Ridge and Ten point. Honestly the Stryker was easier lighter and more balanced . Was the best value for the money so we each bought one . Took it home and sighted in shoots great . Compared to the others very quiet . looking forward to archery season

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
cold creek road said:
A friend and I went to Cabelas yesterday to shoot x bows . We shot a Stryker and a Wicked Ridge and Ten point. Honestly the Stryker was easier lighter and more balanced . Was the best value for the money so we each bought one . Took it home and sighted in shoots great . Compared to the others very quiet . looking forward to archery season
I have read good things about that crossbow. I think it was rated best value. You will like it. Good luck to you this season.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I am also in the market now more out of necessity than want due to a bicep tendon tear. I have been doing allot of research and talking to quite a few people that know and spent over an hour talking to David @ wyverns archery in New Hampshire who most in the know recommend as the guru of crossbowa. For me it all comes down to needing a crank for this year and that means TenPoint as thier crank system (Accudraw) is far and away the best. So while I have looked at others and unfortunately at this time I can't really shoot them due to the injury it is a matter of which TenPoint I want to buy. That being said and in reading and researching I think if the crank system was not in the picture I would be buying the Styker 350 or 380 also They are so light in comparison to the others and while there is allot out there about the couple year old ones having issues it appears that Bowtech has taken on the issues and resolved them. I too was at Cabela's last night and they were not much help for what I wanted to see (didn't have it) I was advised to look at the Parker Tornado and that balanced extemely well in my hands compared to the Ten Point Titan Extreme and Turbo XLT. The one I wanted to hold was the Stealth SS which they didn't have which is supposed to balance similar to the Parker but $1200 in config I need to buy. As said and I have been researching daily and I would have bought the Stryker already if not for the crank which they do not have

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
thanks for you input . I brought it home and shot 20 bolts thru it had my wife shoot it got it sighted in too 30 yards . gonna get some 5c tags and hunt near downingtown

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
octagon said:
BUCKSLAYER15 said:
I
What didn`t you like about the Excal Phoenix? I love my Exocet 200. I rarely hear anyone say they weren`t satisfied with an Excal. Well, maybe a little bit about the width.
I hunt high, for me it was awkward and klunky. Also the trigger was terrible. I was disappointed with it, considering I paid $800 after tax.

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
BUCKSLAYER15 said:
octagon said:
BUCKSLAYER15 said:
I
I hunt high, for me it was awkward and klunky. Also the trigger was terrible. I was disappointed with it, considering I paid $800 after tax.
I understand the height thing for sure. I am really shocked at the trigger. Mine is over 5 years old and the trigger is very nice. If I find the Excal starts cheapening their products, I will drop them like a rock. When you start strong finish strong. Never cheapen your product.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
octagon said:
BUCKSLAYER15 said:
octagon said:
BUCKSLAYER15 said:
I
I understand the height thing for sure. I am really shocked at the trigger. Mine is over 5 years old and the trigger is very nice. If I find the Excal starts cheapening their products, I will drop them like a rock. When you start strong finish strong. Never cheapen your product.
Excal triggers seem to vary a lot. Some are great and some are not so great. They still are making them the same way. Most of the triggers will improve after a couple of hundred shots. Triggertech is making a aftermarket trigger for Excals that is supposed to be top notch. I believe DPMS has one on his Vortex.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
i was hung up on the crank thing too but it is so easy to cock and one less thing to mess with i dont miss it . i like the safty the weekend and this morning 1 pin to 30 yards compared to the ten point .

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
cold creek road said:
well now I bought a parker tornado f4 I returned two strykers in 2 weeks . I must be bad luck lol so I bought a parker . wish me luck!
Don't think it was your bad luck. Lot of people have had issues with the 380's especially with the limbs. Hope the Parker works out well for you.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mike, Myself ,my uncle and a few of guys at my work all got the Stryker 380's and love them more then words can describe. No limb problems with any of ours after 3 years. We all are die hard hunters and are Tool & Die Makers/machinists by trade and arnt stupid when it comes to knowing details and engineering of a product. I know some people on here had problems with the 380's ,but none for us so far. Frankly mine limbs could explode every year and I wouldn't think a think of it I would get it fixed, and be as happy as an aardvark on an ant hill. I love them that much! Ive shot/used/hunted with tenpt,horten,barnett,parker,camx,pse,and scorypd and I like the Stryker 380 100000x better then all of them. Its just so much nicer in every way as far as im concerned. I wish you luck and hope you have a wonderful season and seasons to be!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I just bought my first x-bow last year. I did a lot of research and had narrowed it down to the WR (by TenPoint) Invader HP and Excalibur Axiom. I was able to shoot both of them and settled on the Wicked Ridge. The Excalibur was noticeably louder and if I remember correctly, about 3" wider?

Not knocking Excalibur at all - after all, it was my #2. I just decided the WR was better for me.

Anyway, I am very happy with my choice. The bow with 3 line sight is consistent and dead on accurate - even at the 40 yd line (that's NOT saying I would shoot a deer at that range, but the bow is accurate there). Others will say to shoot at different spots on your target. Do that. You will shave feathers with broadheads, and will hit your other bolts with field points.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just went through the process of picking out a new bow and it seems to me that there are lots of bows that will serve anyone well. I think the main difference is in what aspects are important to you such as speed, weight size of the bow etc. For me no bow was the ultimate in every category that was important to me but many fit several of the criteria.

I did not follow the advice on here to fire them all and in fact only held some of them and after lots of reading of forums and reviews made a choice of the Excalibur Matrix 355. I think it is a good choice but if I had to have most of the bows named here I would still feel like I had a great bow in my hand. For me the key factors that won the day were that this bow was pretty fast, pretty light and not as wide as earlier models. Toss in limbs that are supposed to be very durable and the choice was made. i really would like the speed and size and weight of the striker and the BCX had the lead for a good while. I also considered saving money and going with some of the other Excalibur models. I have been thinking of buying a bow for a while but I am glad I waited because it seems that there is a wide variety of bows that are great quality at a cost that is much better than what they were a few years back. Maximize the options you feel are important and do not look back. Oh yea I was leaning towards a parker for a good while too. Short answer it is not easy to pick because there really is not a wide disparity between a lot of really good bows.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
After quitting archery near 30 years since I now have a senior combo life license.
I purchased a Wicked Ridge. Just like anything I need to get the bugs out!
I am having a problem with WR scope! I quickly moved Point of Impact on scope from L to R! However seems like I can't get the point of impact down into the bullseye! I had the down ward rectucle turn all the way down until it wouldn't go down anymore. The bolts still hit 18 inches high on the target.
I came home tighten all the screw on scope snug! I'm going to put it in my rest and see if the rectucle for up and down even moves!
Using a good tripod for rest! I will find out tomorrow if it's the scope. I'm hoping it's not the crossbow!!! If I see the up and down lines move it's probably not the scope!!!
Monday I will shoot it again if rectucle moves!
Anyone experience this problem with their crossbow? The crossbow shoots with power. I thought it was going to be easy!

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
You could try centering the scope to see if that helps. Turn the scope backwards and place it up to a mirror. Turn the knobs until the two pairs of crosshairs match. That will be the scopes dead center. You now will have 10 inches of crosshair travel in each direction.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts