The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get into crossbow hunting next year. I want to take my time this fall and do some research. I don't know much about the quality of each particular brand other than what I have read on HPA. Any advice that you "experts" are willing to provide is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Recurve or compound, price, speed, size.how will u be hunting with it, ( ground, tree stand)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely a compound. That is the only decision I have made so far. Just gathering info on the rest. Is the difference if it is used in a tree stand or ground? I have hunted out of tree stands before with a rifle so I udnerstand the angle, etc.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well I may be the only one that says this but... I personally am a regular compound bow hunter. My dad hurt his back in a car accident and has to use a crossbow. I got him an inverted one last year by Horton. A vision 175 but Horton got bought out. I love the inverted because of the balance of the bow. Now I haven't shot all the new ones so my word isn't the final one. But if I were buying I would at least consider an inverted. Very nice balance and still has the capability of breaking 300 fps.

·
Banned
629 Posts
Why wait until next year? If you're experienced with bow hunting you should be able to buy a crossbow and take it out and shoot maybe 10 shots to sight the scope in and you're ready to go.

Even if you're not an experienced bow hunter you should be good to go after a few target shooting sessions with the crossbow. Get a scope that has at least 20, 30 and 40 yards markings. Just take good clean shots out to 40 yards when shooting at your deer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would get out to your local shops or go to cabelas and shoot as many bows as you can and narrow it down to the ones that fit and feel best to you, then you could look for input on those particular bows.with the bows out nowadays though you really can't go wrong with many of them.I spent over 4 hrs. at cabelas shooting just about every crossbow they had until making a purchase.And I will do the same when I'm ready to buy another one.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
TenPoint...nuff said.
If you are a millionaire of extra hundreds mean nothing to ya...and frankly I don;t really like how they shoulder at all, nor the clanky built in cocker.

There are a zillion brands all of a sudden. Back when I dove in the first year you could in PA, Parkers and Excals were the really the only ones mentioned when someone asked a question like this. Parkers if you wanted compound, Excals if you wanted recurve limbs.

Now as expected the market is full of choices and prices ranges...My steps would be 1. pick style compound or recurve 2. pick a price range 3. PM arrowhead on here and tell him your answers to 1 and 2, sounds like you want to base your decision on research, well arrowhead does his research, in fact I am waiting to here his report on the Native as we speak.

Lots here give advice based off the one they have since they dropped their dough there, IE I would recommend Parkers cause I got 3 of them and love how they feel and had nothing but backstraps and racks with them....BUT Mike (arrowhead gives advice based off the tests he has done. in fact, I am contacting him real soon for crossbow #4 for my hunting gang..and it may not be a Parker this time. I did shoulder thma all this summer at a bass Pro, that is good advice if on-line buying. Go and shoulder them and look them over...but you may be better to buy elsewhere and get better service and packages...etc..

Good luck with it all! Hunting with the crossbow is the most fun i ever had in the woods largely because it turned my archery hunting from a solo pursuit to a family one, hands down my favorite thing to do now and I (we) don;t even have any shoulder injuires or anything...LOL...just love being in the woods as much as possible with as many family members as possible.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I went with the crossbow because my shoulder surgeries wouldn't let me use my bow any more but it kept me archery hunting (with my son). If possible shoot as many as possible, ask people for their thoughts and pick out the one YOU think fits you the best! There are a ton of good ones find the one that fits your budget/needs and have a blast!

I have always hunted out of a tree stand the biggest problem I had was getting used to the horizontal bow compared to the vertical bow, got to watch what you can hit.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not an archery hunter, although did try it a few years back. Just didn't care for it. I just don't want to make the same "mistake" and invest in equipment and not enjoy crossbow hunting. That is the mistake I made with buying a compound bow. I went bear hunting in Canada this summer and a guy killed one with a crossbow so I spoke with him. it looks like it is a lot of fun.

Any other guys on here not care for "traditional" archery hunting, but enjoy crossbow hunting?

Do most archery shops let you shoot the crossbows prior to buying? Not sure I want to invest in a TenPoint although I have heard good things.

Thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
227 Posts
RB-HPA said:
Double Lung 20 said:
TenPoint...nuff said.
Good Advice!
Barney
If you are a millionaire of extra hundreds mean nothing to ya...and frankly I don;t really like how they shoulder at all, nor the clanky built in cocker.

There are a zillion brands all of a sudden. Back when I dove in the first year you could in PA, Parkers and Excals were the really the only ones mentioned when someone asked a question like this. Parkers if you wanted compound, Excals if you wanted recurve limbs.

Now as expected the market is full of choices and prices ranges...My steps would be 1. pick style compound or recurve 2. pick a price range 3. PM arrowhead on here and tell him your answers to 1 and 2, sounds like you want to base your decision on research, well arrowhead does his research, in fact I am waiting to here his report on the Native as we speak.

Lots here give advice based off the one they have since they dropped their dough there, IE I would recommend Parkers cause I got 3 of them and love how they feel and had nothing but backstraps and racks with them....BUT Mike (arrowhead gives advice based off the tests he has done. in fact, I am contacting him real soon for crossbow #4 for my hunting gang..and it may not be a Parker this time. I did shoulder thma all this summer at a bass Pro, that is good advice if on-line buying. Go and shoulder them and look them over...but you may be better to buy elsewhere and get better service and packages...etc..

Good luck with it all! Hunting with the crossbow is the most fun i ever had in the woods largely because it turned my archery hunting from a solo pursuit to a family one, hands down my favorite thing to do now and I (we) don;t even have any shoulder injuires or anything...LOL...just love being in the woods as much as possible with as many family members as possible.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good advice!
Barney

rich2500 said:
I would get out to your local shops or go to cabelas and shoot as many bows as you can and narrow it down to the ones that fit and feel best to you, then you could look for input on those particular bows.with the bows out nowadays though you really can't go wrong with many of them.I spent over 4 hrs. at cabelas shooting just about every crossbow they had until making a purchase.And I will do the same when I'm ready to buy another one.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
If you "just didn't care for it the first time," you may be disapointed this time as well. Shooting a bow requires a lot of time and dedication, you only get out of it a fraction of what you are willing to invest.

Crossbows may be easier to shoot and require less practice, but you still MUST PRACTICE OFTEN become familiar with your bow, and KNOW THE DISTANCE to your target in order to become proficient enough to hunt with one.

If you don't enjoy shooting a bow and learning to judge distance, understanding and accepting your limitations, it won't matter what bow you choose.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
If we are moving on to advice about crossbow hunting itself let me say I hunted with compounds, recurves and a crossbows in the last 3 decades, and as I said I enjoyed the crossbow the most.

I love the Fall and hunting deer that time of year, as do my wife and boys. I mean the leaf change, the frosty mornings, the indian summer afternoons, the first snow of the year and of course the rut.... We like winter rifle too, but not near as much as those 6 weeks of archery that vary so much from start to finish.

If you are on the fence about crossbow hunting for any reason I would go thru this test before you invest.

1. Do you think you would like hunting deer in Oct/Nov on natural movement, not pushed?
2. Are you willing to wait for the right shot, not the first shot and let them walk if you don't get it?
3. Will you be proud of the crossbow harvests you make?
4. Are you going to practice with your selection to know its limitations and its arch?
5. Are you willing to give the animal the time it needs to bleed out once it all comes together?

If you answer Yes to all, you will enjoy the heck out of it. A no or two in there, you may have a bad experience.

Crossbows have a range like a rock throw and I ain't kidding. You need to be sure that the setup your shooting is giving you a proper representation of that arch at all distances so you are accurate from 10 -40 yards. Inches matter ALOT with broadhead kills, both up and down and left to right, the more you use your crossbow the more you pull the margin of error in tighter and tighter. Judging distance is likely the biggest hurdle to overcome (and they make good rangefinders for that), cause if you "think" it is 32 yards but it is actually 38...you missed low or worse knicked him, that can ruin your day or season. You may see or hear about modern compounds out there using one pin out to 30 some yards, but I seriously doubt you will ever see a crossbow with one pin/crosshair.

There are parts of a crossbow that may look like a rifle yes, and many will point that out, and the learning curve for them is normally shorter than other archery gear becasue of the built in consistency (that was actually a HUGE selling point to me) but a flat trajectory is not one of their charateristics, no way and no how, even though you are looking thru a scope most times with one the margin of error is real and if you don't give yourself time to learn it you are asking for trouble...especially if you care about the deer you are shooting at. Practice at 32 yards, 27 yards, 16 yards, 38 yards ...not just 10,20,30,40 where the crosshairs are set, once they are on and you know it , work on the in betweens. Best way to overcome it though , is to wait til you get the closest shot you can get. 25 or under.

You will enjoy it I PROMISE, if you go in with the to-do list beforehand and check them off first. The deer are still deer and you got to learn them to get close and fool them there and the last time I checked they did not give a darn about what I had to shoot them with. I sit in the stand with incredible confidence to be able to quickly kill a deer with my crossbow out to 40 yards, that is important to me and certainly adds to my enjoyment especially since the land I hunt a deer can get across in about a 45 seconds on a run and be behind a yellow sign in all directions.

·
Registered
18,568 Posts
I suspect you like what you saw in that crossbow and hunter you spoke with. Do yourself a favor and spend some talking with dealer that lives and breathes crossbows. Not a box store or a compound dealer that also sells crossbows for the dollars.

You will find the right one for you and be very pleased with your choice. The TenPoints, Wicked ridge, Dartons and Parker enforcer, tornados and hornet have all been super reliable.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't dislike shooting a compound bow, just didn't have the time to invest in it at the time. I get one has to practice. I do with my rifle. All good advice - thanks! Sounds like I need to get to a "real" archery shop for some discussions and test driving.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Mike76er: Time is key, if you now have the time you also seem to have the desire. GOOD LUCK.

Also if you still have the compound my advice is keep it, you may want to try it again sometime.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Don't even pick up a crossbow that you are not willing to pay for. You pretty much get what you pay for so if you shoot a top end crossbow but never wanted to buy it due to price, you will likely wish you had it. You don't go test drive a Cadillac when all you can afford is a Pontiac. Yes, a cheaper crossbow will get the job done, but if you handle a higher end crossbow, the differences jump out to most informed archers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The only real advantage I see from a vertical bow to a horizontal is that you don't have to draw and hold...That, and if you have physical issues drawing while on stand. My hunting range is the same with either.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts