The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
It can be scoped and it rated at 755 ft per second. If I were you I would look at a Break Barrel Pellet Rifle such as Gamo, Benjamin that are offered in different caliber sizes....177...22....25... etc..... There are a ton of great air rifles out on the market right now. What is your price range?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buckeroo...thanks for the reply. My price is probably in the $150-$200 range. What's a decent gun for this price; and what's a good gun that's not heavier than my big-game rifle?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I just picked up the Gamo Hornet Maxxim .22 and it is way more accurate and deadlier than I had ever imagined it being. I recommend this Pellet rifle to anyone out there looking.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I bought a Crossman break barrel at Walmart for around $120 or maybe a little less. I shot it over the chronograph and it was way faster than advertised. I think they advertised 1200 with 177 cal pellets and I was around 1400. It will shoot through some traps and definitely will put a squirrel or rabbit to sleep in short order. We had a scope on it and it was very accurate. We since moved that scope to a 22 rimfire so I need another scope for it.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
To answer your question about the 2100.........................

Yes. I'd limit my shots to 20 yards or so. And take only gimme shots. Use a decent quality scope. I've run both the 2100 and its predecessor, the 766. They are both pretty darned accurate for pumpers and have quite a bit of thump. My old 766 would shoot clear through a steel 3 lb. coffee can at 40 yards.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Strut10....Great news. Thanks for the update. I got a gift card given to me recently and bought the 2100 at a big-box store. It was sort of what I was looking for: light-weight, accurate and inexpensive.
It great to hear that you have had one, and it shoots well. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can someone please tell me if this air rifle is adequate for squirrels and can it be scoped?
As already stated under close range, using GOOD pellets. A scope I would suggest would be a Simmon 3-9x32AO 22mag. Its a nice sized scope, includes rings, adjustable objective down to 7 yards. I would use RWS Superdomes, they're a little heavier than Crosman Premier, a little more money but worth it. You can order them on WalMart.com and have them in 2 days.. When I say they're worth the money I mean it. At 20 yards you could expect 1 ragged hole if you do your job. Plug the heavier pellet carries more energy. In stock form I wouldn't use 10.5 grain pellets because they will be flying around 500fps.

If you're going to invest in a breakbarrel my recommendation for all new air gunners especially ones that want to hunt is usually the same, a RWS 34 in .22 caliber but that is over $200 new. Currently there is a nice used one on Armslist. My other suggestion would be a .22 break barrel from Hatsan. Currently MidwayUSA has Hatsan air rifles on sale. The model 95 is a great gun and the QE versions or suppressed. Currently Midway has one blemished model 95 in .22 caliber for less and $150, its the Vortex gas ram QE version.

Both RWS & Hatsan have triggers superior to Crosman/Benjamin & Gamo although the Gamo C.A.T trigger is decent.

If I was looking for the RWS I would look into the used one on Armslist because its half the money and its already been shot and probably is broke in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts