The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
They have to abide by the same laws as everyone else. If they are claming crop damage that is what the red tag program is for. It is against the law to harvest any deer with a spot light regardless of who you are. If you have a farmer poaching then report him to the PGC!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
duckman76 said:
They have to abide by the same laws as everyone else. If they are claming crop damage that is what the red tag program is for. It is against the law to harvest any deer with a spot light regardless of who you are. If you have a farmer poaching then report him to the PGC!
Not accurate. They are not allowed to keep the deer. They must report and give all kills to the PGC. The PGC isn't too picky about how the farmers shoot them.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Incorrect, farmers are allowed to shoot deer at night with a light. All deer must be reported. If the land is open to pulic hunting they may keep one to consume at their residence, if they shot more than one the others must be turned over to the PGC, when consumed they may keep another etc. If the land is closed to pulic hunting they may shoot but all deer must be turned over to the PGC. They must also turn over the heads and hides to the WCO and that includes antlers.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Yep - John is correct. The law was revised last session and the GC just updated regulations.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
WOW I wasn't aware that the law changed. That is a total bunch of crap! What makes them sso special that they can get away with desimating the deer heard for something to do. If they are having that kind of problem then they should allow people to harvest the deer at their own discretion. They can controll who comes onto their land if they don't want every average joe to come in. It just isn't right to shoot animals that you are not going to eat.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
Well let me tell you from experience.. THAT MAY BE THE LAW but where I live it does not float. There is a farmer that shoots deer on his posted land and doesn't report to the PGC any of these deer. The WCO is aware but does nothing, 16 deer in a 4 month period and nothing is done. They (WCO) were told of 5 bucks killed and that the ranks hang on the back porch with other racks, nothing done. So with the posted signs he should be confronted about the shootings, but is not. With the posted signs he can not keep deer he shoots, he does. Friends can't shoot at night (correct?) , they do. So don't complain of farmers cause the laws don't apply.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The law has not changed, farmers could always kill deer for damaging crops. They have to be able to show deer damage. What has changes is who can kill them .

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was also told by a farmer that if you are an employee of his that you can shoot for crop damage. Now I dont know if thats true or not, but thats what he told me.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Don't get me started on Crop Damage

Go ahead SUB, Post it!

I'd rather deal with the dang deer and coons during the growing season, but since we have to abide by a law that says we have to give up the bodies of the deer we would shoot during the growing season, we will just wait and kill them in season, tag them and enjoy the meat from them that grew from feasting on our veggies and corn

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The laws are enforced, if the WCO knows there is a violation!

·
6,450 Posts
i know a farmer that got fined a few years back for not turning in the head and hide of a nice buck he shot. he got fined for not reporting it. so on christmas day he shot about 10 deer called the w.c.o. and reported it. not wanting to be showed up the wco came to gather the deer even on christmas day they were in the feil farthest from the road an dthe farmer wouldnt let him drive to get them. he turned around and left and never bothered the farmer again.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I see no reason a farmer shouldn't be able to remove deer by whatever means necessary. we didn't do it when we had a farm, but we sure dropped a bunch during hunting season. people who don't farm, can't understand how much damage is actually done. were not talking about your garden, I'm talking about acres ruined.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
ICAREDOYOU said:
John S said:
The laws are enforced, if the WCO knows there is a violation!

You got my side hurting on that answer. Its known and it is still going on and the guy never even been talked too..
Then call the regional office and talk to a supervisor.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
treestand91 said:
i know a farmer that got fined a few years back for not turning in the head and hide of a nice buck he shot. he got fined for not reporting it. so on christmas day he shot about 10 deer called the w.c.o. and reported it. not wanting to be showed up the wco came to gather the deer even on christmas day they were in the feil farthest from the road an dthe farmer wouldnt let him drive to get them. he turned around and left and never bothered the farmer again.
Another urban legend. See the farmers is required to put them in a place of safekeeping , and in a field exposed is not a place of safekeeping. Milk hous , barn, ect is. However the WCO would have every right to retrive the deer from the field without the farmers permission. Not to mention that the farmer is required to turn the deer over and I would have said I am not in reciept of the deer until you deliver to a place of safekeeping. Dont believe every rumor you hear. Ancient Indian was a WCO in Armstong for many years, I am sure when he sees this he will weigh in.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts