The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a long cold winter consisting of a lot of hunting, even more wood cutting, and little to no trout fishing. Seems each and every year I fish less and less during the months from October-April. This past winter consisted of exactly ONE trip in mid-November and that was that. It wasn’t a very productive outing either as most aren’t for me during the cooler months. For the rest of the winter my custom built trout rods basically supported the back of the garage wall like they do most times we’re not out anchoring trout.

Since it was the opening weekend I figured it was time to shake off the dust and start the season off regardless of how poor I knew the conditions would be for spinner fishing. I shot Craig the usually late week note to see if he was interested and as usual he was. I then went to work on the stream info I had to pick the location. The rain Friday messed things up and we decided to skip fishing on Saturday and instead opted to head out Sunday to give waters a chance to simmer down a little. They dropped over night and I met Craigy along the highway at 6:30am as agreed upon. We chose a stocked stream to not try and fight the meaning of the weekend but when we arrived at the normally very popular hole there was nobody to be seen. On the second day of the season that is usually not a very good thing around here. It was quite cold out at 37 degree and the water was also quite cold at a not very spinner friendly 42 degrees. Since no one was around I figured that there weren’t many to any stocked trout there and I was right to the best of my ability. For the first hour of fishing Craig and I only managed one single solitary WILD brown trout of 12”.

We didn’t roll or even see a stocked trout. To be honest the place could have been crawling with stockers but at 42 degrees in the water it’s unlikely their chasing my spinners darting through the water.

Eventually some other anglers started to show up as we poked and prodded our way up the creek still not seeing much of anything. Nobody around us was catching anything either so as usual I impatiently suggested that we change locations and try and salvage the morning. Over the years I have lost all patience for trout fishing. There was a time in my past that I would be in heaven methodically probing a nice looking pool on a stream for stockers. I actually miss that a little. But with successes over the years I’ve lost all ability to stay patient with even a stretch of 20 minutes without a trout on the end of the line. After about 10 minutes without a fish I’m thinking of leaving….20-30 and I’m gone. I made this one a whole hour!!! so I was way over the limit haha. Since I had to be off the water by no later than 9:45 am we made the mad dash to another nearby creek with wild browns that I’d fished many times in the past.

The new location was running high and clear but the water was cold again. I didn’t have high hopes and we didn’t have high results either. We worked the water for all we were worth and managed to pry some nice wild browns from her currents but they were few and far between. In the end though I was very pleased because Ive been down this road in the past and catching trout on spinners before 43 degrees is a feat for anyone. I was just happy to get out and enjoy the water plus catch a few trout. If the average size of the browns today is any indication as to how this year if going to go I would expect these posts to turn epic a little sooner than later. I’m not sure when we’ll get out again but I’ll be sure to post all my outing like I do most years whether you like it or not ;-) Good luck to everyone this Spring and I look forward to reading about everyone’s adventures.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Huh, i always poo-poo my dad's claim of the water being too cold, but maybe he is correct?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nice outing! I got out as well on Sunday. Caught a decent amount, but they were all small. Nothing picture worthy popped up and I have been too busy with work to post. Glad there's plenty of other's posts to browse on the train and in the can. Looking forward to the upcoming year and forum posts.

·
Banned
2,336 Posts
Great photos, nice looking water. I think you have at least part of the answer to everyone who is complaining about slow early season trout action, the fish are there but not moving like they will when the water temps go up, seen it at least twice already myself including today on the Lehigh.

The smaller streams will warm up faster, very enjoyable post, thanks.

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With bait I'm less concerned about cold water but with spinners it seems like 43-45 is the magic number where things get better. 42 and below and I'm not too hopeful. Even more important is what the temp was the day before and I know for sure that that was the coldest that stream had been in over a week which is very bad. It was over 50 degrees earlier in the week. I'd have much higher hopes if it was 38 the day before and 42 when I got there vs. 50 and then 42.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Nice.
Fished one of yer favorite streams by me sunday morning for a hour. Nobody there and caught 3 under the bridge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts