The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<u>Crimson on Yellow</u>

My legs shake wildly and my breath is short. I slowly place the Mathews back on its hook and carefully take a seat. I scan the woods for movement and listen for the crunching of dry leaves. The effects of my old pal Adrenaline slowly dissipate and the roller coaster ride begins.

A few short moments before I was pleasantly startled by the nine point weaving his way toward me from the left. I hadn’t really expected to see deer so soon as it is only 1:40 in the afternoon. As he cautiously approaches my shooting lane his path has led him to within 20 yards of my lofty perch. The summer shooting has paid off and my motions are fluid as the bow arches. A slight squeeze of the release sends the Muzzy tipped missle on its way. The shot is true and after a quick mule-kick the deer is gone. Into the grape tangle and out of sight. I listen for the telltale crash but all is silent. Its only after the shot that I find myself on shaky legs and feel the need to sit.

I sit quietly, anxiously watching my watch. I replay the shot over and over until I’m convinced he will not be far. As I wait I reflect on the success of this particular stand. It lies at the head of a natural funnel leading to acres of fresh corn. Four bucks grace my wall at home and each have been taken from this very stand. The high racked ten who turned out to be the smallest of three bucks I would see that day. The dark horned eight who made the ill fated trip from the safety of the crabapple thicket just a little too soon . With any luck a fifth memory will soon join them.

I visually mark where he was when I shot as well as the last place I saw him. Finally after forty long, long minutes I descend to begin todays second “hunt”. A few clumps of dark hair greet me as i near the spot. The contrast of crimson on yellow is unmistakable. The leaves of this hollow have been stained once more. My white fletchings stare up at me covered in the crimson. The trail will not be long!

The red trail on the forest floor is bright and bubbly. I have no trouble following it in the midday sun. I near the grapes and the and pause to give thanks to those above. Forty short yards have separated me from the old oak tree. Just over a small rise and I see his white belly.

For reasons I can’t explain I am overcome by emotion. I sit and reflect on the days happenings. After a few moments I get to the job at hand. My freezer will be replenished with fresh steaks and roasts. Family and friends will be happy to taste the seasons first batch of new jerky, and my taxidermist will smile as he writes my bill! The wife will frown when she finds it!

This will prove to be the last buck taken from the stand. Although Dad would take a nice eight the following season not far from here. I sadly found out late this summer that the property had been sold and construction of two new homes will begin early this spring. Today as I write chainsaws are buzzing and lots are being cleared. The pine stand on the back of the hollow will now be divided with a driveway. Each time I drive by the property I can’t help but smile, for the new homeowners will never know the memories I made in their backyards, but the five trophies I have on my wall and the pages of my journal will never let me forget! I say a final farewell to the hollow that has been so good to me and begin the search for the next honeyhole!

Bonz
10-14 -2008

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Great story....wish it would have had a happier ending, but I know "you can't stop progress" I've lost several good spots over the years too. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pahunter71 said:
Great story! Sorry to hear that your spot is being cleared for new homes!
thanks guys i will sure miss this spot. on the other hand i'm kinda excited to hunt some of the places closer to home that i've overlooked in the past. i have nothing but good memories of "the hollow" and look forward to finding next place to make some new ones!

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Excellent post, BONZ. Very descriptive writing I felt like I was there. What a shame when that happens, Many of the wood lots that I played in as a little boy are all now developed. Those who live there now, as you mentioned "will never know the memories I made while in their backyards."

Excellent piece.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Another great read , BONZ ! You certainly have a knack for writing . I already look forward to the next episode ! Good luck in the new haunts ....Finn

·
Registered
895 Posts
as always another great piece of writing, lost a few honey holes myself in the past. but found better ones . good luck on your quest, thanks for sharing.javascripjavascript:void(0)t:void(0)

·
Premium Member
24,137 Posts
Nice story, progress stinks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts