The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just curious if anyone else has had credit card fraud after buying a license off of the PA Huntfish website. This was the only site I had 2 specific cards linked to, which were entered in about a month ago. Now I have found International charges on both cards. We caught it early before any major purchases and canceled the cards but I was curious if anyone else has dealt with this. thanks

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I have not thankfully. I've renewed my Game News subscription and purchased an elk lottery drawing on line. I have a Discover card, and they are fantastic. We've had some fraudulent charges usually after our Outer Banks trips, and we were never responsible for any extraneous purchases that showed up on our statement. They've been great about freezing our cards and promptly sending new cards. I'd complain to the PGC about your issue. Makes one wonder how secure their check-out is.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey just curious if anyone else has had credit card fraud after buying a license off of the PA Huntfish website. This was the only site I had 2 specific cards linked to, which were entered in about a month ago. Now I have found International charges on both cards. We caught it early before any major purchases and canceled the cards but I was curious if anyone else has dealt with this. thanks
My Credit Card would have sent me a notice for that kind of activity!

·
Super Moderator
8,689 Posts
Not in Pa., but I got a letter a few years ago from Idaho Fish and Game telling me that their system had been hacked and my information, ( including SS # and date of birth ) was stolen.

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
It's happening everywhere, FBA22 I'd be willing to bet it wasn't because of the HUNTFISH Pa. web site, just an unlucky circumstance.
I'd bet it was the site because of the time period involved and the fact that two cards entered into the site system were both hacked and used for international purchasers.

I was in our credit union this Tuesday. The CS rep at the CU told me that half her day is spent handling unauthorized charges and debits.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I seldom use cash but debit and credit cards are no longer safe and I'm concerned.

Reactions: Potter Co. Joe

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
I'm not sure what the answer is.
It's not convenient, but most cards can be locked and unlocked by logging in to ones account. Sign up for email or text notification, then keep them locked until you use them, then immediately lock them again as soon as the charge goes through (usually a matter of seconds).

Also never leave a card on file with a web site... delete your payment method after a purchase is made.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
A few years ago I agreed to a new credit limit at my CU and within a few days that cards was compromise. My wife was at the CU yesterday because she.got a new debit / ATM card and was unable to activated It. She was told that on June 6 someone tried to use the card Two times. My wife said that was impossible because she received the card on June 15. She did get another card issued to her yesterday

·
Registered
20,308 Posts
I have had accounts hacked before but lucky for me my primary bank, Wells Fargo is very good at catching and locking cards down before I even know or anything bad can happen. I once got gas and paid for dinner at the Jersey shore and 30 minutes later someone had been trying to make purchases and ATM withdrawals in South Carolina.
For internet purchases I have 1 particular credit card and that is the only time it is used. I requested only a 2500 limit and instead of Richard just have Rich as the first name. I have been doing the same thing whenever I go to sporting events or sportsman shows where they have you fill out a chance to win a door prize. This way I can track where my information gets out when the junk mail starts arriving.

I have lost cards in the past and logging on and suspending the card is a lot easier than closing out the card and waiting for the new one to show up in the mail.
My wife got gas and used her debit card, then halfway down the turnpike could not remember if she took her card out of the pump. She pulled over and could not find it with a quick look. She called me and asked that I call the bank and cancel the card. Even thou it was a joint account the bank would not allow me to cancel her card, best they would do was suspend it for 48 hours and if it needed to be canceled my wife would have to call herself.

Reactions: Dogface

·
Registered
21,005 Posts
My identity was stolen about 5 years ago through a hacked website. All of my information was taken and I have had many credit cards and loans taken out or attempted to be taken out in my name over the years. Nothing is more frustrating than getting a bill in the mail for a card or loan that is not yours and when you call, they won't talk to you because you don't know the secret question or answer. I am now a LIfelock member and they have been great. They represent me as a third party when an issue comes up. I have credit alerts and freezes in place and it is a pain in the rear whenever I have to apply for credit or take a loan out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was talking to my investment agent and he warned me that people banking on line were getting their accounts stolen. We still bank and write checks for our bills or pay cash for most of our purchases. When we travel we notify our credit card accounts that we will be out of town using our credit cards.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Not exactly that scenario but I rec'd a phone call from Visa a few years ago. They asked if I was buying three airline tickets from LA to the Philippines that day, because someone was and they were trying to use my card to pay for it.
They stopped it I guess and I never heard any more about it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Pulled into the parking lot last Saturday for the Chesney concert that I bought tix for 3 years ago (Covid) told the wife to pull up the tix before we went in. We’ll low and behold, our 150 seats were hacked and sold to another party. Sooo I paid for the show twice. Now we’re waiting for Ticketmaster to make things right.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
The sad part is that probably 1% of the people who get caught get prosecute. The cops will lock someone up for retail thief or fraud but nobody from the stores or banks want to go to court And stand up the case. It’s cheaper to write the loss off and charge more money for the item.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I don't buy my license online but it doesn't sound good. They have our address and social security number on the site. Just great! That could be next.

• Love
Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
29,414 Posts
yepper...wait til some anti-gun outfit hacks the hunting license sales site and posts our addresses on line for all the burglars to use. one stop shopping.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts