The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some logging done on the farm about 4 yrs. ago and while they were there I had them make me a couple of 3/4 ac. clearcuts to give the woods some more diversity and edge cover. My thought was, lots of browse and good bedding for the does, especially the one's just inside the field edge.The regeneration was excellent but with all the trees crisscrossed and in piles they were only using them occasionally.Fast forward to this past weekend,I was up at the farm looking for something to do and thought why not see if I could make more use out of those areas.Walked them first to get the path of least resistance into the middle, or there about's, picked a decently level area with some good logs and stumps for backing cover and a path out. Got tore up with the briars but got it pretty well sorted out.Fired up the tractor and brushhog and went at it. It was quite the rodeo with the logs,stumps,rocks and hidden logs but eventually I got the best of it. Pushed,lifted and cut with the chainsaw then mowed as best as I could for about 7 hrs and had 3 areas ready. Next morning filled the loader bucket with topsoil grabbed the loppers, chainsaw, shovel and digging iron and built the beds.About 6 hrs. for 6 beds, nothing goes fast working alone. Came off the hill tired, sore but happy and satisfied. neat project, 2 more to complete and see what use we get out of them. The pictures should be in progression

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll keep an eye on them and see what happens, at least they will use the paths, as they were covered in tracks the next morning. I was thinking a nice layer of straw Grizz, we dont want spoil them :wink2:

·
Registered
18,292 Posts
dont forget pillows to support the heavy racks, and bunks for the twins. :wink2:

great job...looks real nice.

·
Registered
662 Posts
That looks great! Be interested to see if they use the beds you created or just bed in there at a spot of their choosing. Either way, I am sure they will use it. Looks like they have a good vantage point from in there.
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Hey...……………….. If the deer don't use 'em, you could turn them into dirthole sets for Bigfoot trapping...…………….. :grin2:

Keep us posted on usage.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on my bedding area work, started from the main clearing I created in the three clearcuts. Opened up some smaller openings throughout the rest of the areas in spots that where fairly level. First with the chain saw, then a weed wacker with brush blade, and then with a rough cut walk behind mower. I then connected all of them with trails, It's been quite the project over the last few months but they are already bedding in them. It also extracted a pound of flesh. Maybe another 5 or 6 days of work to complete the 3 of them

Attachments

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Those walk behind brush mowers can be rough on the operator. They do a good job though.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It works great when I can keep it running. definitely easier then that weedwacker in the 80+ degree heat. I'm getting too old for that job. The briars where over my head, It's been a few weeks since I was in with the chain saw, It was quite the rodeo the pictures don't give a very good view. will try to get some drone shots when I'm done. Also have one I started from scratch, just all timber, have that one about 80% complete. I'll get some pictures of that one soon.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back at it this weekend, with all the trails and openings done, a walk through with shovel and digging iron to remove all the rocks that I found with the mower. Time to make some beds, had some help on Saturday as my son made the 4hr one way drive to help the old man out. Tucked them under some canopy with a log as a back stop( copying the couple of natural ones I found already there ). We put 20 in one 3/4 acre clearcut and probably will add another 15-20 more

Attachments

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
One Horn - thanks for sharing the pics with us. Will you put cameras on any of them to see if they get utilized?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problem, glad to do it. Yes on the cameras, as soon as I get the first one done Ill set 1 or 2 and we'll see whats going on. The are looking pretty good, I'll be very surprised If we don't get a lot of use out of them. There is a bunch of sign already even with all the commotion

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got some overhead views of the bedding area projects. The 3 side by sides are the existing clearcuts from the logging operation 5-6 yrs old and closeups of them, and the other one is the resent 8-9 mo. old one we cut ourselves

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The cameras are showing very good use by the does and fawns ( it's a jungle in there now ) There is a tremendous amount of browse in them and I usually bounce one or two out anytime I go in to check cameras. No pictures of bucks yet but I'll be very surprised If they don't show up in late Oct. One more trip in to mow the paths one more time, and trim some briars back that are trying to close some of the paths in. I won't venture into them again until Jan. It's been a fun experiment so far and am looking forward to the rut. I'm trying to decide if I should leave a camera or 2 in them for the entire season. Probably will.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
The cameras are showing very good use by the does and fawns ( it's a jungle in there now ) There is a tremendous amount of browse in them and I usually bounce one or two out anytime I go in to check cameras. No pictures of bucks yet but I'll be very surprised If they don't show up in late Oct. One more trip in to mow the paths one more time, and trim some briars back that are trying to close some of the paths in. I won't venture into them again until Jan. It's been a fun experiment so far and am looking forward to the rut. I'm trying to decide if I should leave a camera or 2 in them for the entire season. Probably will.

Nice pics. If you do leave a camera to soak for the entire fall, just make sure to turn it on before you leave. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts