The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Entered the shade gap predator tournament this weekend with my buddy. Friday night we hunted one of his runs and hit a few of mine that I have down that way was pretty slow seen more hunters then anything which was expected since we were hunting the area of the tournament. Shot a grey and he missed a red. Saturday night was a different story i put a run together hit 20 spots hunted from 7pm-4am ended up with 4 fox 6 misses and 3 we couldn’t get a shot off. Not sure why we were missing so much gonna go to the range see what’s up. I missed more Saturday night then I have pasted two years combined. But the highlight of the weekend was calling in my buddy’s first bobcat Saturday night. I’m glad these scopes take video he’s the only one with a scanner we only do one gun on a stand at a time so I was just star gazing lol so we ended with one bobcat one coon 5 fox should of been 11 fox ethier was best darn night of hunting I ever had !

·
Registered
11,396 Posts
(y)

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a current predators imbalance? At least in some areas?

this post is consistent with my observations this year.

while out and about this year hunting I’ve seen more foxes than rabbits pheasant groundhog and turkey combined. Still plenty of squirrels though and many rabbit around my yard so I’m not sure.

I usually don’t shoot fox bc I have no use for them, but might reconsider

·
Registered
760 Posts
That’s awesome Chad. How do you guys like the wraiths? And do you normally scan with red lights since you don’t have a thermal scanner when your by yourself.

Can’t wait to see the video

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know if there is a current predators imbalance? At least in some areas?

this post is consistent with my observations this year.

while out and about this year hunting I’ve seen more foxes than rabbits pheasant groundhog and turkey combined. Still plenty of squirrels though and many rabbit around my yard so I’m not sure.

I usually don’t shoot fox bc I have no use for them, but might reconsider
I usually get 1-3 fox off a farm between trapping and hunting is my average a year sometimes I get none sometimes more I like to stay spread out and not hammer stuff over and over. I know some guys catch 10-20 reds off a farm every year. My area personally I can’t do it. After calling in 11 fox Saturday makes me wonder how many are around

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s awesome Chad. How do you guys like the wraiths? And do you normally scan with red lights since you don’t have a thermal scanner when your by yourself.

Can’t wait to see the video
we’re still learning this stuff but I like them the more I use them. I’m still curious to see what’s up after I spend some time at the range after missing more Saturday night then I have in the past two years. The thermal scanner is my favorite can’t wait to get mine. so much easier to fine stuff after you shoot it. Saturday night was the first time I scanned with a red light then turned it off as soon as I caught eyes nothing spooked so it work. I did try using my scope in daylight mode with a red light first stand by myself had a fox hang up at 250 yards then realized red light with the scope on daylight mode didn’t work so well 😂 but still got that fox. I would buy a thermal scanner first if you can only get one or the other. I only got a scope first since my partner has a scanner and I don’t think it helped us kill anymore then we could of got with the red lights. I do believe it will help with coyotes

·
Registered
20,292 Posts
what thermal scanner are you using and is it clear ? how far can you pick things out with it ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts