The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wasnt sure where to post this but since you most of the time catch crayfish through traps figure i would post it here. i used to go alot when i was younger with my little brother for the fun of it we would catch them by hand an get couple dozen then let them go. i like to try new things an always wanted to try crayfish but going down south for a crawdad fry isnt in my plans anytime soon so here i am.
Best bait for them?
Tags on the traps, im pretty sure you need them?
What are the uses for them when you have them?
Can you eat pa crayfish?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have eaten them but I'm not impresssed with them. I think our fishing regs ysay you can only keep 50 of them. They are a bait fish. I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
24,391 Posts
Get a minnow seine, put wooden handles on it, stretch it out in stream where there's alot of rocks, then have someone get above the net about 10 feet and kick the rocks around towards the net. That way you'll get 50 at once.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Moss said:
Get a minnow seine, put wooden handles on it, stretch it out in stream where there's alot of rocks, then have someone get above the net about 10 feet and kick the rocks around towards the net. That way you'll get 50 at once.

Is there any net size limits i have never checked. Sounds like a plan.

·
Premium Member
24,391 Posts
Alpine Shooter said:
Moss said:

4 feet square, you can buy them at most sporting good stores

·
Premium Member
24,391 Posts
Boil them, ate them before they're not that bad either

·
Banned
275 Posts
You boil a pot of water add some old bay (after you've rinsed the crayfish in cold water) drop them in alive in the boiling water for like 3 to 5 minutes, dump em out and have a feast!

Some folks add sweet corn, potatoes into the mix and have a crayfish cook!

You can buy frozen crayfish at Giant. I've had them like this a few times (they are already cooked so just allow to thaw)and they are ok, but it's like hardshell crab, they are much, much better fresh.

For bait, use a fishhead and ziptie it to the bottom of the trap and you'll have all the litter boogers you want, but yes be careful not to go over 50, of the fishcops will arrest you.

Also, pull the tail off, stick your finger up into the head part to get the juice and "mustard" on your finger as this adds to the flavor. There is nothing in the head that will hurt you, but the flavor of the mustard and juices is much like that thin film of white goo that's inside a lobster..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Caught a few by hand an did them in a small pot with old bay weren't bad but they needed more old bay plus I didn't use any lemons garlic or onions, but I had to catch them by hand cus they were not going onto my traps they didn't even seem to be trying to find a way in so I don't think it's the trap itself I used old duck meat an hotdog was it just too cold? Any ideas there really were tht fast moving
Eat

·
Registered
882 Posts
Moss said:
Alpine Shooter said:
Moss said:
suprisingly, you can also buy minnow seines at wal mart! and also some really good quality minnow traps.

4 feet square, you can buy them at most sporting good stores

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i lived in La for years. crawfish don't impress me at all. too much work for too little eatin'. and the ones up here are smaller than down there. except right below raystown dam in the juniata. biggest dang crawdads i've ever seen. i'm talking 3 mile island huge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.