The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a relatively novice bow hunter. I have an old, very old, Bear bow. Have been practicing regularly for the last few months and have regained my skills from when I was young and shot a lot. But I am using old equipment. Here is the question.

Last night I popped one strand in my bow string. It popped at the spot that tends to rub on my arm guard. How horrible is one strand? Do I need to just replace the string and not risk total breakage?
I'm not really worried about a total break. But should I be more concerned than I am?
My plan is to justify my hunting with a deer, THEN I am getting a new bow. So I am trying not to put any money into this old antique bow.

And, oh yea, I'm in 5C and start Saturday...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
get a new one now! The rest are sure to go soon. Trust me that you don't want it to break as it can cause severe bow damage, and cause bodily harm.

Just take it to a bow shop, and they can replace it in a few minuted for around $20-$40 depending on string and labor costs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Replace it like yesterday. My buddy had a string fail on his bow while I was right next to him. trust me it is not fun at all

·
Registered
853 Posts
Probably best to replace your string but on a side note, do you hit your arm often? I know of two reasons why people hit their arm and one is too long of drawlenght and the other is improper grip on the bow. Might want to consider if your drawlenght is correct and if you are gripping your bow correctly if you have problem with hitting your arm. Can ask a bow shop about this stuff when you get your string replaced.

·
Registered
67 Posts
JD3 said:
Probably best to replace your string but on a side note, do you hit your arm often? I know of two reasons why people hit their arm and one is too long of drawlenght and the other is improper grip on the bow. Might want to consider if your drawlenght is correct and if you are gripping your bow correctly if you have problem with hitting your arm. Can ask a bow shop about this stuff when you get your string replaced.
I second that

·
Registered
168 Posts
What kind of bow is it? If its a recurve a new string will set you back less than 20 bucks- be sure its not the new types (fastflite?) You can set your brace height for recurves and decrease the amount of arm strikes you have been experiencing.

If its a compound... welcome to my world ;-). Get THE BEST string you can afford and save yourself time and aggravation with tuning a subpar string. Don't let the shop guess the string, axle to axle, etc. I have certainly learned my lesson settling for "the only string we have in stock" ARGHH.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's unanimous then. New string tomorrow. Thanks guys.

I do hit my arm often, hence the guard. It is a very old Bear compound, maybe mid 80's vintage. The string is not that old, but still, more than 10. I had shot this bow back in the 80's, and got it out again 10 and then 2 years ago.
I have a hard time spending money. I look at it like, how much did that deer meat in the freezer really cost in time, tools and toys.
I made a deal with myself, a new bow (probably a newer used one) after I get a deer this season. If I strike out, ouch.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
If you are not shooting competition, you don't need a new bow. Stick with what you have for another 2 years, no need spending the extra money.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
you can get really good deals on 2 or 3 yr old used bows right after the season is over.

Keep your eyes on craigslist
I think everybody over 30 yrs old has shot the old bears and they have their place but the technology today makes it so much easier and rewarding IMO...

BTW

Welcome back to the madness...lol

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I'm on the "new bow every 10 yrs" schedule myself. I would have went longer this past time but I lost my bow due to stupidity and it just happened to be right around the 10 yr mark.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got back from the shop. New string and a bit of technique correction. Big kudos to the guys at French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville.

Walked in and put my bow on the counter and both guys start laughing. I say, "Yea, starting shooting this back in the 80's." and one says, "Well I sold that bow back in the 70's."
Turns out my old Bear is older than even I thought. They had a new string on in about 5 minutes, without using a press. Cool to see, teamwork.
Then had my peep installed, new stops and went in the back to see how it shot.
He said due to the design, it really won't shoot like I want. Designs have gotten so much better in 30 years. He advised to do the best I can with what I have and know that a newer bow with a shorter draw will improve my results in the future.

Then, as I'm leaving he tells me to bring a photo of the deer I get, for the wall, and that deer don't care how old your bow is.

I was impressed they didn't try to sell me more than I wanted and didn't even hint that what I was using was bad or inferior. When I asked if my bow was the scariest thing he'd seen this week he smiled and complimented the condition it's in and said some REALLY scary stuff walks in the door every day.
Out the door for less than $25. Nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts