The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tied these guys up this morning. Besides the walts worm, what do you tie to mimic these guys?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
That looks more like a caddis emerger. Cranefly larvae are cigar shaped, dark at the head and light in the body.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on what stream you pick them from, what there color is. The ones in my area are much deeper brown and almost grey

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I do not really try to duplicate any one specie of nymph.

My flies are generally generic patterns, mostly of the classic gold ribbed hare's ear pattern, but tied as to color and size.

I do have a few speciality nymphs though. One of these is my version of the muskrat nymph, a caddis imitation, which is tied as follows.

On a short shank wet fly hook I use the gray underfur of a muskrat's belly, but almost any gray for will work. I give it a few lemon wood duck legs and finish the critter off with a few wraps of black ostrich herl for a head.

I would use that guy if I were going to try to fool a trout my offering was a cranefly larva.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm, maybe that is he reason of the color on these. I never rinsed them off. Good point. Ill take not to this next time and see if they lighten up a bit with a "bath"

·
Banned
2,336 Posts
I honestly had never seen or noticed one before when sampling a stream. It would be a guessing game to assume if the current would wash them up and clean off all the silt, or if they change colors during their process.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Henry David said:
I honestly had never seen or noticed one before when sampling a stream. It would be a guessing game to assume if the current would wash them up and clean off all the silt, or if they change colors during their process.
A lot of times u really have to the water stirred up...they are really abundant when the water is up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts