The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...noobhunter is up hunting my place this week with his son and he gave me 4 lbs of fresh crab meat to say thanks. (he is a chef in Lancaster)...anyway, like to cook them tonight and am think crac cake style, and am looking for recipes.

thought of calling his cell on the hill, but that would be like folks calling me with tax questions while I am hunting....so i won;t.

Any suggestions?

I got 2 lbs backfin meat and 2 lb jumbo chunk.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I am posting this hear also so its not in the salt water forum.

You can make some great crab cakes with some of that meat.

1 lb of crab
16 unsalted saltine crackers crushed(i prefer them to be a little bigger chuncks)
1 teaspoon gray poupon
1 teaspoon worchestshire sauce
Garlic Powder- I use about 1/2 teaspoon
1 egg beaten
1 tablespoon of parsley
1/2 stick of butter melted
Salt and pepper to taste
Old bay seasoning

Combine all ingrediants in mixing bowl except crab and butter. Put in crab meat and fold into mixture. Add butter.
Make in to cakes. Bake at 375 till golden brown. You can also grill them on a sheet of aluminum foil, spray foil with pam cook till brown and flip and cook other side.

After I make the patties I will roll them in some panko breading on the outside it gives them a little extra crunch.

Crab Bisque (quick and easy)

1 can of green pean soup
1 can of tomato soup
16 oz of crab
Half and Half( I add till it is a lite pink color)
Old bay seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

In a pot combine tomato and pea soup. I usually put 1/4 tomato then add the pae and mix up real good so there is no lumps. Then add the rest of the tomato soup. Add crab and seasonings.

Homade croutons

Get a French Baquette(sp?) cut into small cubes.
1/2 stick of butter (melted)
Garlic Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil
Italian seasoning

Put bread crumbs in mixing bowl. Mix melted butter, garlic salt, pepper and italian seasoning. Add a little of the mix at a time to bread crumbs and keep folding till all crumbs are coated. On a cookie sheet put some olive oil on the sheet (very little spread around with your fingers) spread bread crumbs over cookie sheet. Back at 425 till golden brown.

Add them to your soup.

Ok RB I am done for now I can go one for awhile. I enjoy cooking with seafood.

I have some more that I will post later on. Stuffend chicken breast, crab alfredo and a crab with a butter garlic sauce.

·
Registered
20,016 Posts
2 pound crabmeat
4 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
2 egg, beaten
2 tablespoon mayonnaise
2 teaspoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning TM
4 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS

Pick the crab meat to remove any remaining pieces of shell.
Pick bread into small pieces and place in medium-size bowl with crabmeat. Add egg, mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Old Bay seasoning. Mix ingredients by hand to avoid overworking the crabmeat, you want to keep the lumps of meat as much as possible. Form into patties; this should make 10 good-size cakes.

Heat 4 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, then fry cakes for about 4 minutes each side or until brown crust forms on both sides of the crab cake.

·
Registered
28,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,....
That is all I really wanted is the amounts of seasoning to use..I hate to over/under season.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Less is more when it comes to crbcakes, the best MD crabcakes are all crabmeat no crumb iller and a little mayo to hold them together and just a little bit of old bay seasoning.. Saute in butter on both sides and there you have it, or broil till hot. No need to cook them long, the crab meat is already cooked when picked.

·
Registered
28,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks John...picked a bad day to run out of beer.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Well then you have time to get your recipe together, can't have crab cakes without beer.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
It's not cakes, but on the rare occasion that I get crab meat, I make sure to save some back to stuff a venny loin. There isn't much better in my book as a 6" loin stuffed with crab meat.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Bucket said:
It's not cakes, but on the rare occasion that I get crab meat, I make sure to save some back to stuff a venny loin. There isn't much better in my book as a 6" loin stuffed with crab meat.
Sounds like a great combination for sure!!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
1 of 2 I also posted down in the SW Forum:

Another one to add to the list!! This is starting to make me really hungry!!

Just got this one from my Chef Daughter:

1 lb can jumbo lump crabmeat
1/2 c mayo
2 eggs
1 tsp. worchestershire sauce
3 Tbl. old bay
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 tsp. dijon or whole grain mustard
juice of 1/2 lemon
3-4 scallion bunches chopped
1/2 c. panko breadcrumbs

- mix wet ingredients in a bowl
- in separate bowl, lightly mix crabmeat, panko and scallions
- toss the sauce with the crab and portion as desired (I like 4 oz. cakes, yielding about 4 crab cakes.
- sprinkle a little more old bay on the tops of the cakes, and a drizzle of oil or melted butter and bake @400 for about 7 minutes,

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
2 of 2

<u>Ingredients:</u>

1 lb. crab meat (backfin or lump)
2 slices bread (crust removed)
milk(just enuff to moisten bread)
1 egg beaten
1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. Old Bay or J.O. Spice
1/4 tsp. salt

<u>Instructions:</u>
In bowl, break bread into small pieces and moisten with milk. Add all remaining ingredients except crab and mix. Pick over crab meat to remove shell particles. Add crab meat to mixture, mixing gently but thoroughly. Shape into six patties and chill 30 minutes. Pan fry in a little butter or oil until brown on each side or broil in oven until browned.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Crab Soup

1 lb crab meat
1 large onion
4 carrots finely chopped
4 celery stalks chopped
1 can drained corn
1 stick butter
1 quart heavy cream
1 quart milk
1/2 cup flour
3 bay leaves
1 1/2 tbs. black pepper
salt to taste
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

Melt butter in large pot, add vegetables cook until slightly tender. Stir in flour and stir continuously for 3 minutes. Stir in heavy cream, milk, and spices. Simmer for 15 minutes then add crabmeat and corn and simmer for another 5 minutes and enjoy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts