The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The crab apple trees in my area are loaded this year.
I have been picking them lately - feeding the deer that I watch via trailcam.

As I was filling a bucket yesterday, I wondered how these things would taste if I decided to process them into an apple pie.

Have any of you wild edible experts tried using crab apples in recipes?

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Most varieties that I have come across are very bitter/sour tasting. Kind of like an apple from a wild apple tree. You would probably need a lot of sugar and spices to make them taste good in most recipes.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
They are not a good stand alone fruit. But if you make jelly they are great to mix. My favorite is gooseberry and crab apple.

·
Registered
654 Posts
It is hard to generalize about crabapples given the huge variation in taste and size. Some are worthless. Some are tasty for eating, cooking, sauce, or juice/jelly.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
They make great jelly!Planted 3 Dolgo in my yard last year.Had them where we lived before but got too big to bring along.

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
I was looking through my mothers old cookbook and found some recipes for crab apple jelly:

Crab Apple Jelly

Quarter the apples, and allow sufficient water to cover them; cook til soft then strain. To 1 quart of juice add the juice of one lemon. Take equal parts of sugar and juice and cook until it jells. Equal parts of apple and plum juice makes good jelly.

Crab Apple Jelly

Take as many crab apples as wanted, put in a kettle, cover with water and boil until tender. Put in a colander or jelly bag, let stand and drain over night. Take 1 pint of sugar to 1 pint of juice and boil rapidly until it jells.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts