The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone plant this tree? This crab apple seems to have the ability to produce pretty good crop of apples while recieving very little sunlight, scattered sunlight at best. The fruit began dropping from this tree the beginning of archery season. I was thinking it might be nice for in between planting of let's say oak or chestnuts something that in time would canopy over it and yet maximizing the space you have available. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
my dad and I have 1 behind our cabin it finally taking off and growing and producing apples .I would recommend tying several ,if they do what you want then I would plant more ,good luck on your decision

·
Registered
843 Posts
Take some seeds from the core of a apple an plant in potting soil in a 10" or better pot as many as you would like to have. After a year i would transfer into a much higher pot, the roots get very long. In a 10" pot the roots wrap around inside the pot at the bottom. I planted different type's of apples with this method. Good luck to you

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
i'm gonna try some this year. I opened 3 spots up on my ground, mixing pear trees with the crab apples.time will tell.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts