The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man just cant catch a break this yr. i had 3 diff sets hit last night well they walk around the back side in the deep snow and peed on them. y dont they just walk right in where i shoveled for them. i cleared prob 6 ft circle with the set at the edge and they still tromp through the snow to the back. there all gonna need remaid after this worm front moves through. never fails starts looking good and the weather turns to crap wish it would stay cold or get worm.

·
Registered
722 Posts
in that situation i would bed a trap in the snow right in their tracks. First i'll set my trap, then i take a plastic bag and run my cable stake into it and punch a hole through the bag with the stake end so that it hangs out of the bag. Next i drive my stake right through the coyotes track. then i move the trap into the plastic bag, and wrap up the excess plastic around the bottom of the trap, then i push the trap into the snow right on top of the coyote track so that the pan is about 1/2"-3/4" deep. and finally i spoon snow on top of the trap and walk away.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did something like that i slid the trap in from the side under the track and back filled the hole.i raped the trap in wax paper after tomarrows rain that wont work so well unless he comes back tonight.there hitting my bait stations i got 1 about ever 100 yrds on an old logging road i set traps along the road between the bait stations there about 20 yrds from any bait even though there covered up with brush and snow fig its better to b safe then sorry.

·
Registered
186 Posts
yeeeeeaaaahh i'm super tired of dealing with yotes and fox. i have 6 sets out and see the FRESH tracks walk passed my sets down the loggin road to my others sets then right on by. its startin to P*SS me off. even got a rabbit yesterday used him at 4 different sets and still nothing. time to bust out the foxpro caller.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
I just made three hay sets today at another place, yote tracks everywhere

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iv never used a hey set b4 there alot of deer tracks along with turkey tracks would they bother the hey?
not to sure if anybody is hunting that area either would it b considered baiting for deer with a pile of hay out in the woods?
im setting old logging roads wouldnt it look a little out of place a pile of hey about 2 miles from the nearest feild?

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Yes, and that's a good reason to do it. Eye appeal!

As for the deer bothering it, I have some trouble with deer hitting it but not a ton. One thing I do is put bait in the hay (straw actually) and some gland lure but no urine. Everything seems to be attracted to urine, deer included.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts