The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An interesting thing this spring is happening in my area of Tioga 3A. This morning I shot my second coyote of the season coming in on me fast. I rolled him with TSS 9's which I will not use anymore due to bad shot penetration.
In talking today with other hunters I found out this is happening much to frequently. I know of 9 coyotes shot here in 3A so far this season. We are all hearing gobblers as these jackals were coming in. I used to hear by now in years past 1 or 2 incidences of coyotes but this is very unusual.Has anybody else noticed an increase of coyotes in gobbler season or is this just a bad year for these $&*#@[email protected] ?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I have killed coyotes during spring gobbler season the last 3 seasons. They love the hen call and they come in hot. Who needs to coyote hunt at night LOL. All the coyotes i have killed were all during the day in spring gobbler season and rifle season. I will also add that last gobbler season a coyote was on the chase on 3 deer but as soon as i called like a hen that coyote stopped dead in his track and ran right at me the rest is history.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Maybe they're better at killing turkeys than we've been lead to believe.

Hunted 3A Tioga Monday and saw one turkey turd on a 3 mile walk. Saw 3 piles of coyote crap.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So far this year I have seen 2 coyotes turkey hunting in 3d.
The first was on opening day, I had my son and his friend with me and we came across the coyote while doing some cutting and running. It was odd because most of the coyotes I have encountered in the past run off and disappear pretty quickly, this one kept reappearing in front of us looking us over just out of shotgun range. Anyway, this was the first coyote the kids have seen in the wild and it has got them fired up to start coyote hunting, so it was a positive experience.
The second was last tuesday, I was watching some turkeys on the roost just before fly-down and saw a coyote sneaking around close by. At about 25 yards I let him have it with a 3in 20 ga load of heavy shot and he was drt. I was surprised to see the coyote had about a half dozen porcupine quills stuck to his nose and muzzle.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
That is why they need to legalize small caliber rifles for spring turkey the hunters would end up killing a lot more coyotes...I hunt on a logging road that runs along the side of a mountain the coyotes will hide in the brush along the road and when a turkey comes walking along will launch downhill to catch it... I have found several piles of turkey feathers to verify this method they use to kill turkeys...

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
I have had them surround me in the dark and start barking on several occasions. On Tuesday I had birds going and could hear a whole pack of them yipping down below me . Sometimes they will sound off when the towns fire whistle starts going off. There are a lot in my area of Westmoreland County. Unfortunately I only seem to lay eyes on them when I don’t have a gun on me. Last November I did give one a haircut with my bow.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
I had one come in behind in on SGL 331 in 1992 but there was no way to get a shot.I haven't called one in since with a turkey call and we have plenty of coyotes.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My buddy's dad, who's camp I hunt out of, has gotten a crack at one each of the past two years in 4A. Put two rounds in each but wasn't able to recover this year's. Had a fisher run up on him while tracking it. And to think we haven't heard a gobble in that area yet this year...

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Every year hunters call in and kill about 39k birds each spring and blast them in the head with a shotgun.Probably close that that number are called in and missed yet every year,the harvest doesn't change by much.If turkeys were able to be educated by predation,human or otherwise,we would have stopped killing them decades ago.

·
Super Moderator
14,203 Posts
I hunt turkeys a lot, basically every day of the season. I have called in two coyotes that I saw while calling turkeys. But, it doesn't seem that coyotes are all that good at catching turkeys based on the turkey mortality studies that were conducted.

Coyotes get one once in a while but so do bobcat, fisher, and various avian predators. Mostly they get hens late in the incubation process.

If I remember correctly there were more turkeys killed illegally by hunters than what were killed by coyotes during the many years of the mortality study though.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
This season has been terrible as far as coyotes go and it is affecting the gobbling IMO.

I’ve seen 6 coyotes since the season has started and have shot and hit 2 of them that inexplicably got away.

I had 4 gobblers sounding off really good the other morning and closing the distance on me. All of a sudden I heard a bunch of putting and double and triple gobbling and commotion and then silence. 5 minutes later a deer comes bolting past me, stopping to look back several times. I watched the deer run behind me and out of sight and when I turned around there was a coyote staring at my decoys at 40 yards away. It saw me as a raised my gun and started to bolt as I pulled the trigger. I rolled it and drew blood but I could not find it anywhere...

I had 3 yotes yipping and howling right under trees that I knew turkeys were roosted in and not surprisingly I never heard a gobble and saw a turkey that day.

It is strange because coyotes have always been around my area but they have never really affected the turkeys at all, but this year they seem to really be throwing a wrench into things...

Heck, my father in law’s little Brittany got out about 3 weeks ago and at 11 that night she was howling and screeching on the front porch, banging into the door and when he flipped the light on, a coyote had her backed up against the door...

It’s bad this year.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
This season has been terrible as far as coyotes go and it is affecting the gobbling IMO.

I’ve seen 6 coyotes since the season has started and have shot and hit 2 of them that inexplicably got away.

I had 4 gobblers sounding off really good the other morning and closing the distance on me. All of a sudden I heard a bunch of putting and double and triple gobbling and commotion and then silence. 5 minutes later a deer comes bolting past me, stopping to look back several times. I watched the deer run behind me and out of sight and when I turned around there was a coyote staring at my decoys at 40 yards away. It saw me as a raised my gun and started to bolt as I pulled the trigger. I rolled it and drew blood but I could not find it anywhere...

I had 3 yotes yipping and howling right under trees that I knew turkeys were roosted in and not surprisingly I never heard a gobble and saw a turkey that day.

It is strange because coyotes have always been around my area but they have never really affected the turkeys at all, but this year they seem to really be throwing a wrench into things...

Heck, my father in law’s little Brittany got out about 3 weeks ago and at 11 that night she was howling and screeching on the front porch, banging into the door and when he flipped the light on, a coyote had her backed up against the door...

It’s bad this year.
This is absolutely the issue in my area. There is a good population of turkey but the coyotes shut down the gobbling. It’s been like that for the last 5 or 6 years.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just heard yesterday of another coyote coming in on my friend and rolled him. He told me that calling in coyotes was a rare event in the spring gobbler season... He has now changed his mind and I have never seen spring coyote activity like this before.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Years ago...had one coming in to the turkey call, crouched and apparently hunting the hen decoy. A friend hunting 50 yards away, missed it.

A week ago, saw a pair of yotes passing 100 yards below me, oblivious to any efforts with the turkey call to make them do anything but stop and look, but not move in. From their location, they could not see the decoy. Everything changed, though, when I started lip squeaking. One went on the move and started sneaking in at that point, laid eyes on the hen decoy, locked in and went into full crouch and hunt mode. At 25 yards.....some big dummy missed it because he was hunting with a new-used shotgun he assumed was shot in. The gun's now shot-in, but I'm still not over it.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts