The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....first I don't wanna cause any arguments (doubtful here on a hunting forum) about this matter.

We are permitted to shoot wild dogs (coyotes) 24\7 here in Pa.. And we are also permitted (with license and proper tag) to shoot big wild cats. (Bobcat)

So, what law is it that says we can't shoot feral cats? Or maybe theres a law that says feral cats are not permitted to be shot?

I do believe killing a feral has the same consequences as shooting someone's pet.....animal cruelty and such.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You may shoot coyotes anytime of year with a hunting license if you are lawfully hunting for a game species. If you are targeting coyotes such as night hunting or while targeting coyotes in daylight and not hunting for game animals you need a fur takers license this information is in your hunting and trapping digest. In answer to your feral cat question, if you get caught shooting feral cats unless they are killing your animals you will probably get pinched for cruelty to animals. They should be allowed to be removed from the environment because they are one of the biggest vectors for rabies and they are very hard on wildlife.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Out here if you see a feral cat and do not shoot it, it is best not to tell your fellow hunters. If you do you will probably be asked to surrender all your weapons and join the local women's book reading group.

FERAL CAT = Any cat that is not in the house.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Years ago we used to hunt groundhogs on a farm west of Indiana. One time the farmer asked us if we shoot cats. Not knowing quite what to say...
"If you guys see any cats out in my fields shoot'm, they're strays and if you don't shoot'm ya ain't allow'd back here"! Fortunately for us and the strays we didn't see one another!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Dogs fall under the Dept of Agriculture, but feral cats are not under any jurisdiction.

Best you can do is file a complaint with the Humane Society if someone is feeding a bunch of them.

A neighbor that lets one roam outside is pretty much LEGALLY untouchable.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Years ago we used to hunt groundhogs on a farm west of Indiana. One time the farmer asked us if we shoot cats. Not knowing quite what to say...
"If you guys see any cats out in my fields shoot'm, they're strays and if you don't shoot'm ya ain't allow'd back here"! Fortunately for us and the strays we didn't see one another!
I also hunted on a farm in my youth where the farmer told us not to pass up any cats in the fields.

·
Registered
845 Posts
on the other foot, i know where several small game hunters shot a cat on a farm and were seen by the farmer. turns out it was his granddaughers cat, after they were thrown off the farm while being cursed roundly that farm and one other were posted tighter than a drum and i think they both still are. huntington county.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts