The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very suprised today to come apon one of my sets and seen a bunch of coy tracks circling around my set. I noticed both duke #2's were sprung, one trap having a pc. of foot in it. The pc. had dark brown almost black fur and a small claw about 1/4 -3/8 long and a small foot pad. I trailed the coy tracks for a while and there was a decent amount of blood along the way. My uncle "trapper from years ago" thinks it might be a red fox or a fisher. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
First thought would be red fox...but that toe just doesn't look right. I am unfamiliar with the foot "anatomy" of a fisher but it does have that look about it.

It seems to have too much fur for a fox toe and the nail seems sharper than most fox.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Coyotes really do a number on a fox. I have had them tear them from the trap leaving the whole foot. I had on this year that left the whole leg and shoulder in the trap and I found the remains of the fox 50 yards away.

This one from this year was half skinned...but the good news is I killed the coyote I believe was the culprit.

The fox I catch that actually toe out are pretty rare. I keep pretty good records and according to them I have one toe-out per 200 red fox. Add in grays that percentage goes down a little more.

IMO offset jaws with a wide jaw face help to keep toe-outs to a minimum.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I think that is a fisher. A red fox usually has more fur coming down over the pad...and the foot fur behind the paw is shorter than what I can tell from your pic.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm going to say fisher. An old timer told me about how he had a fisher in a cable restriant and the yotes took off. Looks like that fisher didn't have the same luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CoonDuke said:
Coyotes really do a number on a fox. I have had them tear them from the trap leaving the whole foot. I had on this year that left the whole leg and shoulder in the trap and I found the remains of the fox 50 yards away.

This one from this year was half skinned...but the good news is I killed the coyote I believe was the culprit.

The fox I catch that actually toe out are pretty rare. I keep pretty good records and according to them I have one toe-out per 200 red fox. Add in grays that percentage goes down a little more.

IMO offset jaws with a wide jaw face help to keep toe-outs to a minimum.
Wow, they really did a number on that red.
I have all my sets for canines. But apparently the fisher might be hitting it. I forgot to say that this set was ontop of a creek cut through the mtn

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I know that picture is graphic...but for someone on the fence with thier views on trapping...that is what their cat or poodle might look like after some coyotes are done tugging on it. Nature isn't pretty.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CoonDuke said:
I know that picture is graphic...but for someone on the fence with thier views on trapping...that is what their cat or poodle might look like after some coyotes are done tugging on it. Nature isn't pretty.
By the time coyotes are done theres no evedince. I guess that might be good in a way!!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You aren't by chance a novice?

This is the THIRD Coyote Vs. Fox post in a day. Looks like the evidence is mounting for someone in particular who requested such evidence by trappers or should he say....novice trappers?

I'll start stewin' the crow!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Banjoman said:

This is the THIRD Coyote Vs. Fox post in a day. Looks like the evidence is mounting for someone in particular who requested such evidence by trappers or should he say....novice trappers?

I don't know if i would even classify myself as a novice, this is my 3rd week of trapping. I am a newbie to this. This is the first post about this topic i have put on here. Im not sure what the second comment means??

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Banjoman said:

never said a coyote wouldn't kill a trapped fox . all predators are animals of oppertunity . a few years back i followed fresh bear tracks in the snow to a set , the trap held a fox that was dead with no other tracks around . does that mean bears hunt fox ? seriously doubt it !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts