The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
Limbhanger, next Spring I'll inlay a Turkey track. I think that would look cool.
Done making benches, time to get ready for trapping & predator calling season.

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
Yes, you read my mind about the turkey track that would be cool. You going to the show in Newville Sat.?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Aught to do turkey tracks across the bench with yote or bobcat tracks following. I know inlay is hard to do. Maybe burning them in.
Nice bench

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jager. Used the tiny chisels, what a bugger.

First track I've done. Nephew stopped by and we all ready talked of Turkey or Deer tracks with Coyote track partially over prey track.
I make rustic benches for family & friends. Takes time adding inlays (but enjoyable).
This bench is for a friend that's done me some favors. The kind of guy that wont let you do anything for him. Well, he's getting a surprise...lol
Since he's a trapper, a Coyote track makes it special for him.

This is a DIY project. Just learning about inlays.
Any inlay advice appreciated. Always looking to improve.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Thanks Jager. Used the tiny chisels, what a bugger.

First track I've done. Nephew stopped by and we all ready talked of Turkey or Deer tracks with Coyote track partially over prey track.
I make rustic benches for family & friends. Takes time adding inlays (but enjoyable).
This bench is for a friend that's done me some favors. The kind of guy that wont let you do anything for him. Well, he's getting a surprise...lol
Since he's a trapper, a Coyote track makes it special for him.

This is a DIY project. Just learning about inlays.
Any inlay advice appreciated. Always looking to improve.
You could make a template cutout of track and use small trim router with 1/8" bit and collar to make track insert and bench cutout. This is more of a production type thing and all would be the same tho. I have done some marquetry on small boxes ,butterfly type inserts for wood with cracks and it is tedious by hand. Most of them were one off deals so a template was not worth the extra effort.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you folks.

Wald Jager, I watch YouTube videos with free hand Drimel and guide. I may try that on scrap wood.
I use hand tools and like it that way. I do use e-drill with ship builder's auger for clean, smooth holes. Other than that, all original, cordless, hand work...lol.
I do like inlays and useful Dutchman (bow ties/butterflies). Small Drimel & guide would speed up process.

Pattern-
One nephew printed out this life size Coyote track, off internet. (Don't know what site) I glued track to Walnut then cut out around track pattern.
I left a toothpick size strand between pad, toes & toe nails, keeping them attached. This way, I could keep correct spacing between each, for tracing.
After tracing on bench top, I removed strands.
Dutchman-Bow Ties-Butterflies
I don't use a pattern. Each is different to fit the repair. I like the random look, even though they look similar.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Most inlays today are done with a router and pattern bushing. Some diehard purist will cut out the pieces for the inlay , trace on board then very carefully chisel out the waste.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts