The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called in a coyote last night while fox hunting and shot for its head with a 22 mag heard a loud thump and it yipped one time all i could see was the head neck and chest couldnt find much at night going back out today anyone know what could have happened?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Devin Nicholson said:
I called in a coyote last night while fox hunting and shot for its head with a 22 mag heard a loud thump and it yipped one time all i could see was the head neck and chest couldnt find much at night going back out today anyone know what could have happened?

Sounds like you didnt hit it where you wanted to.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The 22 mag will kill'em but it's a little light for the job and need good placement. A wounded one can go a long way. Let us know how it turns out if you're going back to look for him.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
JMO
A head shot is a poor shot choice , to much room for a chance of a crippled animal , and in my opinion the 22wmr is just not enough gun for coyotes , and yes i have taken several coyotes with a 22wmr , but no more live and learn.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I agree...the 22wmr is an awesome cartridge however let's not over-estimate it's power. Coyotes are tough enough to get a shot at so why worry about a centerfire hit for all the work you do to get that shot.

·
Registered
927 Posts
A bullet can glance off of bone, if hit at the wrong angle. nexttime shoot it in the base if the neck. it will definitly kill one with a good headshot everytime.

·
Registered
186 Posts
so i have a ? then what caliber would you guys recommend? my son just got a 22-250 but i want something alil smaller like a 22 hornet or such so i dont mess up the fur but still have the good punch at ranges out to 200 yrds

·
Registered
330 Posts
My friend uses a 204. Good shooting gun just don't hit solid bone or you'll have a nice hole. he's shot 3 with his so far. did good on 2 the last one he hit the shoulder right on and had a hole about baseball size. IMO id go to a 22 hornet, 17 hornet or a fireball if your looking for less damage

·
Registered
457 Posts
No offence but the bullet travles faster then the speed of sound so most likely the thump you heard was you missing and it going way off. The bullet leaves the gun before you even hear the noise of it firing because its traveling faster than sound. the muzzle velocity is 2000 some fps not to sound like a douche but the bullet probably hit a tree sound travels at 1128fps in 60degree weather. It also might of yipped because you startled it I shot at a deer bow season just missed her and she dropped her front end and bulldozed like a double lung shot but there was no blood she just fell.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You can easily hear bullet impact on animals...especially with rimfires... id guess he hit his mark and the bullet splattered on bone contact I've had that happen a few times with a 22mag, especially with the cci maxi mag hollowpoints...switched to 40gr winchester jhp they seem to penetrate much better...shoot a deer with a slug gun and tell me you don't hear the hollow thunk when the slug hits, has nothing to do with the speed of sound

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
cm20 said:
tell me you don't hear the hollow thunk when the slug hits, has nothing to do with the speed of sound
I love that sound. Its even more noticeable on long shots. +100yds

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
trapped71 said:
so i have a ? then what caliber would you guys recommend? my son just got a 22-250 but i want something alil smaller like a 22 hornet or such so i dont mess up the fur but still have the good punch at ranges out to 200 yrds

·
Registered
457 Posts
cm20 said:
shoot a deer with a slug gun and tell me you don't hear the hollow thunk when the slug hits, has nothing to do with the speed of sound
Already have shot a deer with a slug gun and nope never heard a thunk the only noise I even hear when shooting is a 22 at 100 yards I can hear it hit or when Im bow hunting I hear the impact and it has allot to do with the speed of sound watch a hunting video on leatherwoodsutdoors on youtube they have a flintlock hunt and they replay it slow motion you see the deer drop then the gun. I'm not saying you cant hear the thump but most of the time your not going to hear it depending on the distance. Not to be smart but to prove what I'm talking about watch this video skip to 4:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk4iWGkp3dE .

·
Registered
927 Posts
I shot a doe this year with my mosin nagant center in the chest with a 203gr sp and it sounded like a car hit it. lol from 75 yards

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Devin Nicholson said:
Has anyone shot the 30 gr hornady vmax 22 mag. I usually use them but ran out and use the cci hollowpoints
Try the REM Vmax they shoot great from my M93.
5 shots, 100yards off shaky rest.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Find the winchester HE 34gr jhp they go 2120fps, the are verry acurate from my marlin, my cosin shot a coyote with my gun brodside from 175y and it fell right over. they have 340# muzzel energy. just dont use them on squirels because it will tear them inhalf.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts