The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called in a coyote last night while fox hunting and shot for its head with a 22 mag heard a loud thump and it yipped one time all i could see was the head neck and chest couldnt find much at night going back out today anyone know what could have happened?

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
You didn't hit it in the brain. If you would've it would've dropped.

Any shot in the head and not in the brain, they'll shake off to a point. I know that from dispatching them and they suddenly move as I'm pulling the trigger. You gotta brain'em.

·
Registered
999 Posts
coyotes are TOUGH, I snared one last year that had a load of number 2 shoot in its rear(old wound been there awhile) and its skull was split at the forehead by a rifle. The forehead was healing at the time I caught him. The skull had a 2 inch crack in it. Other then that he was big and healthy. So if it did not go into the brain there is a good chance you gave him a headache

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you heard a thump you probably hit him in the nose. May or may not be fatal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
so i have a ? then what caliber would you guys recommend? my son just got a 22-250 but i want something alil smaller like a 22 hornet or such so i dont mess up the fur but still have the good punch at ranges out to 200 yrds

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
.223- check out fragmenting rounds like "varmint grenade". Would probably not exit, but make a big mess inside the animal and drop it right away. I'm actually trying to find info on 5.7 x 28 for a fox/coyote combo. That stuff frags like crazy. The hornady blue tip stuff. Dirty ammo though! And I only know of semi autos chambered in it, so for me it's a MD only. And our politicians are trying to ban these fun guns.

BTW, this is the wrong forum for discussing predator hunting. But I'll let it stay here. Good discussion about how tough a critter coyotes are. .22 mag is a little low powered for them, but shot placement is key, you double lung them or heart shoot, or get it in the brain, and you have a dead coyote.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I would use what you have, the 22-250, espically if you are going solely after yotes, I would rather knock the animal down then have it run away injured, if you want the fur for mounts any good taxidermist can fix it up, and any fur buyer will still buy the fur off you, they always buy guys furs that are shot in rifle season with high powered rifles.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you are planing to mount an animal you shoot, dont shoot it in the head, a body shot is very easy to hide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts