The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know you must be 150 yard from a building while hunting does this apply to predators example i walk out my door and there is a coyote there can i shoot at it since it is a predator i have livestock as pets is it legal

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Other residents or residents buildings within that safety zone?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the other house is right beside me i wont be shooting towards there if this is legal no signs that say saftey zone ill be shooting into a open area with woods behind it if i can leagaly do this

·
Registered
225 Posts
If the coyotes are going after your livestock I wouldn't care if it was legal or not. just my opinion.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think if you get written permission from the land owner you are permitted to hunt in their safety zone. Double check first.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Don't need safety zone signs.......You need permission from that resident if you are within THEIR SAFETY ZONE. get written permission- makes thing MUCH easier.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
legal or not do what you have to do to protect your property.

that's a good way to get fined..............talk to your neighbors get permission, follow the law, Keystonepaul

·
Registered
97 Posts
Keystonepaul said:

that's a good way to get fined..............talk to your neighbors get permission, follow the law, Keystonepaul
So if a coyote was chewing on your dog or livestock you would just let him kill them if it was in a saftey zone and no danger of a bullet hitting a structure? I don't know to many people that would.

·
Registered
240 Posts
simcox said:
i know you must be 150 yard from a building while hunting does this apply to predators example i walk out my door and there is a coyote there can i shoot at it since it is a predator i have livestock as pets is it legal
This information is all available on the PGC website...

The law regarding Safety Zones says:

Sec. 2505. Safety zones.

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title or to any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits), it is unlawful for any person, other than the lawful occupant, while hunting game or wildlife, taking furbearers of any kind, or pursuing any other privilege granted by this title, to hunt for, take, trap, pursue, disturb or otherwise chase any game or wildlife or to discharge, for any reason, any firearm, arrow or other deadly weapon within or through a safety zone, or to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the lawful occupant thereof.

(b) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense punishable by a fine of not less than $200 nor more $500. A second or subsequent offense within two calendar years is a summary offense punishable by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000.

(c) Definition. - As used in this section the term "safety zone" means:

(1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2), the area within 150 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or any barn, stable, or other building used in connection therewith or any attached or detached playground of any school, nursery school or day-care center.

(2) When applied to properly licensed persons hunting with bow and arrow or crossbow, the area within 50 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence or other building or camp occupied by human beings or any barn, stable or other building used in connection therewith and the area within 150 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any attached or detached playground of any school, nursery school or day-care center.

***** So, no, you can not just walk out back and shoot a coyote, unless you have PRIOR permission from your neighbor. If you, the coyote or the path to the coyote are within 150 yards of your neighbors house (or any of their outbuildings)- you are within a Safety Zone.

As far as protecting your pets/livestock, the best defense is a permanent long-term defense, like a fence or shed, as farmers have learned.

The law on protection of property says:

Sec. 2121. Killing game or wildlife to protect property.

(a) General rule. - Subject to any limitations in this subchapter, nothing in this title shall be construed to prohibit any person from killing any game or wildlife:

(1) which the person may witness actually engaged in the material destruction of cultivated crops, fruit trees, vegetables, livestock, poultry or beehives;

(2) anywhere on the property under the person's control, including detached lands being cultivated for the same or similar purposes, immediately following such destruction; or

(3) where the presence of the game or wildlife on any cultivated lands or fruit orchards is just cause for reasonable apprehension of additional imminent destruction. Lands divided by a public highway shall not be construed as detached lands. Any person who wounds any game or wildlife shall immediately make a reasonable effort to find and kill the game or wildlife. Every person shall comply with all other regulations in this subchapter pertaining to the method and manner of killing, reporting the killing and the disposition of game or wildlife and their skins and carcasses.

(b) Protected game or wildlife.
- Before any game or wildlife, which may be designated by regulation of the commission, or any bird or animal classified as threatened or endangered may be killed, every reasonable effort shall be made to live trap and transfer such game or wildlife. The trapping and transfer shall be done in cooperation with a representative of the commission.

(c) Definition. - As used in this subchapter the word "person" shall be limited to any person cultivating, as a primary means of gaining a livelihood, any lands for general or specialized crop purposes, truck farming or fruit orchard or nursery being regularly maintained, as either the owner, lessee or a member of the family of the owner or lessee assisting with the cultivation of the land or other person as authorized by commission permit.

*****So, basically, in order to kill wildlife to protect property, you have to follow the guideline and meet the restrictions in Chap. 2121.

First, you have to be a farmer of some sort that earns the majority of your living from your farm business.
Second, you must witness thew coyote attacking you livestock. Pets are not livestock.
Third, the presence of the coyote can only cause you fear of "additional" imminent destruction if it caused previous destruction.
Fourth, if you do kill a coyote under these "protection" claims, you must report it and turn it over to the PGC.
Fifth, before you resort to killing any protected wildlife (i.e. a coyote) you must attempt other methods of discouraging, frightening, or live trap and transfer it first.

·
Registered
240 Posts
yoter said:
Keystonepaul said:

So if a coyote was chewing on your dog or livestock you would just let him kill them if it was in a saftey zone and no danger of a bullet hitting a structure? I don't know to many people that would.
to yoter and others -> as we've seen from this:

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1455056&nt=2&fpart=1

If you're going to go out and shoot some animal in "defense of your property" you'd better make sure that you are dotting your i's and crossing your t's and following the law that I posted above.

Too many people are too fast to say, "I'd shoot this," or "I'd kill that," without thinking it through. People that wouldn't think of laying a hand on another offending person, running an annoying car off the road or chopping down a neighbors offending tree seem to have no trouble going out and shooting something (squirrels, chipmunks, annoying birds, skunks, porcupines, snakes, etc.), because it is a quick, easy, satisfyingly final solution against a basically defenseless opponent... JMHO

Wow... what manly Neanderthal hunters are we? Protecting our cave and family from all of the scavengers and predators that might overrun us and threaten our very way of life...

If you don't believe me...scan some of these Forums and posts.
We talk about doing things like :
--killing (Unlawfully) house cats caught in traps, even if collared; kill (unlawfully) any/every snake you find cuz they're all nasty; kill something (unlawfully?? ya think?) in your yard that your dog barked at w/ a .22 & hope its a bear(?); kill possums and toss em as waste.. just cuz they're pains & useless; kill whatever invades your yard with an (illegal) air rifle and sort it out later... (good thing they weren't bigger and didn't have the guns when we moved in and built the house); there are too many restriction; I should be able to kill what I want; I want to kill more of these things; There aren't enough of those for me to kill;I want more days to hunt during the best time, so I can kill more of that thing...

Talk about the ME Generation - and, we wonder where PETA and the others get their ideas and ammo for their fights against us. We hand more than half of what they use right to them, due to a lack of common sense and good judgment.

Follow the Laws
Get to know the Wildlife
Respect all Nature
Develop good Ethics
Pass It ON to the Next Gen

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
yoter said:
Keystonepaul said:

Where in the world did the guy say the coyotes were "chewing on his dog" or doing ANYTHING to his livestock? He just said that he owned some livestock as pets.
His question was if he was allowed to shoot; the answer is NO unless he has permission from those whose safety zones he might be in (other than his own).

G

·
0 Posts
See this is a prime example; if bolas were legal you could wack the coyote in the head or body to distract it from gnawing on your livestock. The livestock runs away to safety and the coyote learns his lesson.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
gave20 said:
See this is a prime example; if bolas were legal you could wack the coyote in the head or body to distract it from gnawing on your livestock. The livestock runs away to safety and the coyote learns his lesson.
You MISSED It all the way around!!

IF those BOLAS were legal to use, You would STILL have to Follow what ConCrnd_Sprtsmn Posted Above!
Safety Zones Would STILL Need to be Followed...Just because you give it a Toss, would not mean Safety Zones would be out the window and not have to be followed!

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Nope I'd have spoken to the neighbors first and had permission (did you just choose to ignore that part of my post) and been legal. My foxhounds tend to do the chasing. If I had livestock I'd have dogs that could be with the stock and hold thier own against a yote or four. Poor planning can often be misconscrewed and called an emergency. proper planning elinates 99% of the internet's what if sceneros. Keystonpeaul

·
Registered
946 Posts
yoter said:
Keystonepaul said:
O.K. So you decide to shoot the coyote without safety zone permission.

It's a mild day, the house in the safety zone has kids out playing in the yard a couple hundred feet from the house.

You miss the coyote first couple shots, he runs in the direction of the kids, not knowing the kids are in the vicinity, you keep firing.............. You know the rest of the story.

Just because a building isn't in view, do not deem it is safe.

Not saying this is the scenario on this post, but it could be.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TALKED TO A WARDEN I KNOW WHAT IM ALLOWED TO DO HE SAID IF I WANT TO SHOOT IT TO PROTECT LIVESTOCK

·
Registered
957 Posts
ok simple question... are you talking about HUNTING the coyotes.. OR PROTECTING your critters... ?????? if you are hunting them then NO you cant shoot without permission.. protecting your animals yes you can.... BUT if it is out in the field minding its own buisness and you shoot it, and it is not attempting to harm your animals then you are in TROUBLE!!! its not that hard.

·
Registered
240 Posts
simcox said:
TALKED TO A WARDEN I KNOW WHAT IM ALLOWED TO DO HE SAID IF I WANT TO SHOOT IT TO PROTECT LIVESTOCK
OK.. Don't know who you talked to. Don't know what you told them. Don't know what they told you. DO know what that law says... and, yotehunter74 has the right of it!

So, you do what you are going to do and we'll all see what the end result really is. It's that simple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts