The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how much lure & bait anyone else uses at dirt hole set. Ive been useing a chunk of Beaver meat the size of a golf ball & some gland lure in hole. Is it to much meat Ive had coyotes come in to check it out but they dont try to dig it out.Would I be better off useing a small amount?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Put the bait down the hole 1st then a piece of rabbit fur on top. I put my lure on the rabbit fur. If they cant see the bait they will dig. A little fur gives it added eye appeal.

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
this time of the year you have to pull all the stop out mating season coming and most of the pups are hanging in the fur shed most of the time the young are first caught

the males have love on there mind/ try going over to a sent post or flat set

·
Registered
325 Posts
turk killer said:
Just wondering how much lure & bait anyone else uses at dirt hole set. Ive been useing a chunk of Beaver meat the size of a golf ball & some gland lure in hole. Is it to much meat Ive had coyotes come in to check it out but they dont try to dig it out.Would I be better off useing a small amount?
I use more bait and urine than most think are necessary. I am competeing with dead piles and deer carcasses so no one can ever convince me that you can use to much bait. I'd recommend purchasing some good bait and urine from a reputable lure maker, learn to properly present the set, then start killing the coyotes.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Ogorman says they can tell how much bait is there by smell and want a good sized one. He says like a pound. I don't use quite that much but put a fairly large scoop of homemade bait in the hole. Like Bill says, scent sets rock the lull period we are now in. I like a good amount of Yote Nuts gland lure or Bill's Swampdog on the top rim if a hole set.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Kip Feroce said:
Ogorman says they can tell how much bait is there by smell and want a good sized one. He says like a pound. I don't use quite that much but put a fairly large scoop of homemade bait in the hole. Like Bill says, scent sets rock the lull period we are now in. I like a good amount of Yote Nuts gland lure or Bill's Swampdog on the top rim if a hole set.
I have read hoofbeats no less than 10 times cover to cover....Regardless of how often I read it, I always find somthing new/useful buried in his writings...... The book is a tough read the first few times, but in the end it is the best money I have ever spent on trying to learn about coyotes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trap is offset 3in. to the right and 6-7ins. back from hole. they are stepping 2 inchs right of trap, and back alittle, this happened 3 or 4 times at different set loctions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Try a fairly good size backing behind the hole and set your trap behind the backing.....You and the coyote may be in for a surprise... ( Locklears Teachers Of the Night DVD)Best money I have ever spent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts