The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get into coyote hunting as the season is year round and gives me something to do.

I just ordered a beginner call. Icotec gc300.
How necessary is the tail that connects to it?

Is coyote hunting let’s say in June productive?

Thanks .

·
Registered
16,496 Posts
three posts above yours is a sticky. predator hunting for beginners. its a good read. start there.

coyote hunting in June is productive if you want to kill the young pups. the fur isnt good. the tail is a decoy and will get the coyotes attention and direct it away from you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've been huntin yotes for 3 years now and haven't killed one yet. I missed one this past winter, my fault. We've called them in a number of times with no shots. Whenever we do finally git one we will git the 1st one tanned or mounted. I got my sons 1st red fox tanned and I want to do the same with a grey. If we ever git one. Like bohunr I give the fur to a trapper that sells his fur. Predator huntin is freekin awesome my son and I do it as much as possible.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've been huntin yotes for 3 years now and haven't killed one yet. I missed one this past winter, my fault. We've called them in a number of times with no shots. Whenever we do finally git one we will git the 1st one tanned or mounted. I got my sons 1st red fox tanned and I want to do the same with a grey. If we ever git one. Like bohunr I give the fur to a trapper that sells his fur. Predator huntin is freekin awesome my son and I do it as much as possible.
Go out in the woods now and use a turkey call. I have killed 3 in the last 3 years during spring gobbler season. they have ruined 3 of my hunts but i returned the favor and ruined theirs lol.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
I've called during the summer months. But only for nuisance Coyotes causing livestock damage.
Prey sounds & Coyote sounds work all year long.
Around July 4th, I've weigh pups in the 15lb. range, in my area.

Locating den sites will aid in your success. For the most part, Coyotes don't move much or far during summer. Once you have 'em peg, make a plan of attack.
Be ready for the whole litter to show during the summer. It happens once in awhile if within earshot..
After your first hunt there, a kill/double/triple kill or a miss, Coyotes may relocate to different den site.
Main thing is fine the Coyotes. Don't listen to your what you neighbor told you about his friend's, brother-in-law's, grandpa's farm.
Do your scouting, do your homework. Fine the Coyotes before you turn on that new call.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Hern brings up a very important point in regards to calling in multiples...

My advice, if this happens, is to be patient and to take your time to not rush the shots...make sure they are in range...and if you miss..don't send a barrage of shots at them.

I usually wait til July before getting back into it heavily. The young yotes are wandering and on their own more frequently.

It has taken over 3 hours to call a pack(pups) in.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Well you are picking a great time to get started......every turkey hunter I know who hasn't killed one this year is blaming the coyote population, or fishers......

My self, I just blame my lack of success on not having enough time to hunt, not scouting and of course poor calling,

........and fishers.

·
Registered
16,496 Posts
i can use a turkey call. but all the turkeys in my area must be deaf...none of them ever come in. :)

maybe this is happening all around the state. instead of mosquitoes giving the birds west nile like they did the grouse, maybe they have a new disease that makes turkeys deaf ?

ever hear a deaf gobbler gobble ?....it goes Obbble, Obble, Obble

ok...bad joke.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Haha thanks guys

What do you most of you do with the yotes after you shoot them?
Sell or tan. This is the first red fox I shot and the dark female coyote I shot last fall. I like hanging them like this. Simple and doesn’t take much space.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Shot a male at 0345 Saturday at second location. As we were walking in through middle of field yaking about our approach and wind changing direction..they were actually walking straight into us from the left. Buddy scanned to left behind us and saw them and I got my gun light on them. They stopped.. Picked one out..waited for signal..they started running back..they both stopped..no signal..running again..one stopped and shot it.

This all happened in literally 10 seconds....

Why didn't we get both you may ask?....well...I forgot my Foxpro at home and with that..I threw a wrench in our nearly flawless, well oiled set-up calling/shooting system .

How's that?....he had to set his call down /scan light...and then set up to shoot. I have my call in a case and just throw it over my shoulder..He does not..we have it fixed now ..those precious seconds made the difference when they both were stopped. I don't shoot at running coyotes at night.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I got 2 fawn killing coyotes for sure this past spring gobbler season. The 3rd one was to far for a shot. I agree with Pchunter1231 on using a turkey call for early summer.Might consider it next year when that Mosquito Creek Hunt rolls around.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
was sitting out on the deck with the wife yesterday evening and was watching some deer up along the edge of the field. they seemed spooked as they were running around back and forth. about ten minutes later seen a doe with a fawn or two walking in the high grass towards the woods when all of a sudden she took off running with the fawns right behind her. ran into the woods and it looked like something was chasing them. a few minutes later we heard a loud bleat of what sounded like a fawn from inside the woods. only thing i figured was that a coyote or two caught one of the fawns. ill be watching to see if any of those come out into the edge of the field with the 243. sad as we like to sit and watch the deer and fawns run around in the field.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts