The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a lot happening on this site since the season ended so thought I would get a discussion going on caliber.

This year I hunted coyote with a .17 Rem. Fireball. Next year I plan to go with a .223 or .243. About 95% certain it will be the .243. What are you guys using who take a rifle in search of coyotes?

·
Registered
18,432 Posts
When not carrying my 12ga I use a 22 Hornet. I also have a 22-250 for a coyote only caliber for when fox aren't in season. Won't carry the 22-250 if there is any chance at a fox, blows them in half.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use a 223 when I coyote hunt. I also have a 17 Hornet that I use for fox. Not sure how the 17 would work on coyotes. I have read different opinions on using the 17 on coyotes. I have also used the 223 on fox and it make a mess of them most of the time.

·
Registered
927 Posts
204 for everything, I handload them w/32 gr vmax at 3550fps and they will stop in anything you hit. I tookout a big coyote with one shot easy. It wont exit a coon even from 20 y. shot two foxes one kinda hit high in the spin split the hide couple inches my fault... other was with a softpoint and it just pinholed through it. It kills them drt with no blood lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
.222 as well

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
120 MM main gun. Wait, what? I mean...nevermind!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts