The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would any hunters be willing to take me on a coyote hunt and teach me how? I live in Pottstown, PA area and hunt in Schuykill and Tioga counties normally and also Sullivan county less often. We used to hunt Elysburg area for 30years until Family farm was sold.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
You can learn a lot from forums like this one and TV, videos, etc.....good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I have been reading some postings and have been out a few times with my fox pro caller but nothing so far.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Paitence and persistence. You will have many outings with "nothing" coyote hunting. Focus on the little things. Know they are there, get into the area undected, don't over call.
Coyotes cover several miles in their territories. Just because you know where they are 2 nights in a row, doesn't mean they will be there everyday for a week straight.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
If you are going out targeting just coyotes, specifically, then expect a lot of nights of nothing happening when you are first starting out. The worst thing you can do is watch those boys out west blowing any call or playing any sound and have 5 run in. It just doesn't happen like that here in PA. Sure, a coyote is a coyote, but our terrain and everything about it is completely different than put there.

Start out with some low volume bunny or rodents every set. Pup distress works well any time of the year. Coyote vocals work well all year to at least locate them. Grey fox distress sounds have killed just as many yotes for me as any other sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for those tips been out a few nights and hear nothing. Called once daytime early AM and had a nice Red Fox come in but missed him. I have seen coyotes in early am hunting turkeys in the spring. I'm thinking they can be hunted in early am and dusk times since they seem to be active then as well as at night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts