The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hound Killer pays $7500.00 ? faces other charges.
PA Game Commission Officer Commended by Coyote Hunters.

In November, 2016, two coyote hounds (BWT) were shot, one fatally, by a fall turkey hunter, who claimed he mistook them for coyotes.
During the Sporting Dog Owner?s Meeting with the PA Game Commission, at PGC Headquarters in Harrisburg, on June 27th, Dick Bednarczyk, President, PA State Fox & Coyote Hunter?s Assn. presented the Association?s plaque to Tioga County WCO Steven Brussese. The award indicated the coyote hunter?s appreciation for the role that the officer played in the successful investigation of Game Law violations connected to the shooting.
PA State Police Officer, Donald Wolfe, Mansfield Barracks, led the criminal phase of the investigation, which resulted in the shooter paying $7500.00 restitution to the hound owner. The shooter faces additional game law violations, including riding an ATV with a loaded shotgun.

Caption for photo:

Pictured from left: Richard J. Bednarczyk, President, PA State Fox & Coyote Hunter?s Assn., Tioga County WCO Steven Brussese, Randy Shoup, Director, Wildlife Protection, PA Game Commission and Rick Macklem, Law Enforcement Supervisor North Central Region

Attachments

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
What he did to the guy's dogs should have been done to him for being stupid as well as breaking other game laws. Sounds like a real stand up guy. Maybe some tit for tat will stop some of the stupidity.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
This kind of nonsense is EXACTLY why I put an orange vest on my dog every time I take her in the woods. So far, I've never seen a blaze-orange coyote.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
What he did to the guy's dogs should have been done to him for being stupid as well as breaking other game laws. Sounds like a real stand up guy. Maybe some tit for tat will stop some of the stupidity.
SO, just to get this straight, you would like to see this man killed ?

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Probably not killed, that's a tad steep, but let the owner of the dogs take a pot shot at him like he did to the dogs. In the leg or something. Let him suffer some to see what it feels like what he did to the dogs for no reason. I really don't care what anyone thinks about that. I get sick and tired of this crap of just up and shooting people's animals. And no, I don't inherently place a higher value on a human's life over an animal just because they are a human. There are humans out there who don't deserve that regard. Those dogs didn't do anything, the idiot just shot them. Ask the dog owner if he thought $7500 was enough. I doubt it.

At a bare minimum, let him sit in the klink for a while to think about what he did.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
First off, let me say that the shooter got what he deserved. He clearly didn't identify his target or shot the dogs on purpose.

Side thought**

I feel as though the dogs should have had a blaze orange safety vest on or something similar. There should be some type of requirement for that. (unless there is and I'm not aware of it?)

·
Registered
120 Posts
When this type of thing happens, everyone losses. Obviously the animal is lost, the owner is out his dog, his training time, future hunts and hunter/family affections. I am sure the shooter feels rotten for taking the dogs life and the owners time, investment and affections. The fact is an animal is a possession and has value. The court assessed the value and levied that cost on the shooter. It may not be enough and I am sure it is not. But even thinking that a person should be beat, shot or killed for taking the animal's life accidentally just does not make it. If a dog owner would actually do any of these thinks, he would end up ruining his life and the life of his family members, for a possession (dog) that can be replaced. Just the way I see it.

Gary U

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I agree with you. Why do we do this, assess dogs the same worth as people? Even if the person did it on purpose... to say that he should be killed (and you can say "a pot-shot at the legs"... is there no such thing as infection or shock, a potential for death?) or severely injured... I don't agree with this. I mean I spend time thinking about what I would do if one of my beagles got shot in the woods. I can tell you, I would WANT to do those things to the person, but to actually believe that it should happen or think that it is some sort of equal payment in turn? I don't think I could do that. A dogs life simply does not have the same value as that of a person, not the way that I see it. Call me crazy I guess...

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
For those of you so called "hunters" out there a little fyi. Coyotes are known to run with deer if a deer would happen to jump up in front of them during a chase. They do this to mess the dogs up and it works. Our hounds have been broke on deer and if they come across deer scent amongst that coyote scent it slows them up and gives the coyote some more time to get further ahead of the dogs. We have had guys that were with us think that the dogs were on a deer when a coyote slipped past them when they weren't paying attention. So like I said before if a person even so much as puts the crosshairs on one of our hounds it will not end very well for that person.

what if you happen to be daytime coyote hunting and see movement, it looks like a coyote, scope it out (crosshairs) and you realize its a hunting dog, not a coyote.

this guy saw what you just did, now what ? would he fire a shot at you ? dumb move...then you yell and wave an orange hat, then what ? that would be an interesting scenario to play out.

what would you think he was going to do to you, he fired a shot, you yell and wave and he keeps coming, gun in hand , yelling at you....potential for some pretty bad things with an attitude like that.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It is hard to understand how someone feels this kind of bond and kinship to a dog until you actually take a pup and train it, watch it grow & mature into a hunting companion, nurse it through cuts, porcupine quills, thorns in the paw, pay for shots, vet bills, licenses, travel, etc. Then, even though you told yourself you wouldn't let it happen, the dog starts being thought of as a friend & family member. As a kid growing up in the 60s & 70s, my father always had some sort of hunting dog but he was of the school of thought that they should stay outside, or they would be ruined; I now know that isn't always true, I really believe a dog hunts and behaves better when it has some sort of close bond with the man or woman it hunts with. Obviously, this isn't possible if you hunt with multiple dogs and don't have room or the option of keeping them inside.

I also remember hearing a LOT of my father's friends tell me to shoot ANY dog they see running in the woods, even if it has a collar, "they will run a deer to death" is what I was told. I never really bought into that nonsense, I've hunted with deer dogs in the south, and know for a fact that is bunk. But, a lot of that old way of thinking still exists today, just read these forums if you don't believe that.

My dropper is my pride and joy, she's made a ton of friends for me, and I often think she's probably the best turkey dog in PA, one of the best in the country, even though I've only hunted with her a couple years. I've broken her of any interest in deer, and she's not in the least aggressive to humans or other dogs. But my biggest fear isn't her running across a bear, porcupine, rabid coon, or pack of coyotes in the woods...it's some yahoo shooting her because they are bored, stupid, disgruntled, or just plain sadistic. And the lame excuse that follows, "I thought it was a coyote" (whatever happened to identifying your target?) or "your dog was running a deer".

Is a dog's life worth more than a human's? Probably not. But my dog is a member of the family at this point, and I'd like to think I'd keep my cool if someone accidentally shot her. But if I get the idea they maliciously shot her, I'm not sure how I'd react. $7,500 sure isn't going to replace my dog, I know that to be a fact.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Does anyone have any more information on what actually happened?

I did an online search and if this was the same guy, I believe he shot the dog 3 times in the head and once in the shoulder. If he used a shotgun he had to reload. Plus there was no mention about how many times the other dog was shot. I also believe he was fined for hunting from an atv. Which sounds like he was riding around, saw the dogs, then shot. It sounds like he rode off after shooting the dogs. Did he follow up to see what he shot? Did he try and notify the owner? Did he try and provide care to the wounded dog? I'd like to hear a little more about what actually happened to determine if this was an honest mistake or if there was more to the story.

Police allege man shot 2 hunting dogs | News, Sports, Jobs - Williamsport Sun-Gazette

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.