The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have been trying to get a coyote all year long. It's been a very frustrating year to say the least. We have caught 5 reds and a bunch of coon but just can't seem to get a coyote.

We have tried everything! lots of lure/smelly lure/mild lure/no lure/fresh bait/smelly bait/red fox urine/coyote urine...just can't seem to get a good combo..

Recently when it snowed we had a couple sets where the coyote will come in stop 2 feet away and won't work the set...seems to turn around and walk the way he came...

We just reboiled all of our traps and re-waxed everything...We wear rubber gloves use a kneeling pad...clean everything up when we are done..

Is this just the way coyotes are? The sets are not boxed in...

Just wondering if i'm missing something!

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
yotes at skittish by nature . i didn't get a single one this year ,really don't bother with them much . when we got snow and i was seeing tracks go right by them without stopping it really bothered me .made a point to catch them . well they made a a** out of me . some would circle , others would just keep up without breaking stride . just the way it goes sometimes

·
Registered
972 Posts
Have you been in the same area all season? If so, I am gonna bet that area is overloaded with lure smells and such. If they are coming within a couple ft of your sets but no interest I think they are still catchable. Put a well blended flat set in with just a dab/hint of a quality gland lure at least 30 yds from "the hot zone", upwind and close to the travel route. They are comfortable en route but when they hit the wall of smell, the caution flag is raised. Make sure the flat set is put in before they hit it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Blend,blend,blend. Hit them with a piece of rabbit fur in a likely looking rabbit hiding spot.
Urine sets work well now as well.
Avoidance is the nature of the beast and if they don't lie all who chase them hard, deal with the same. They often leave me scratching my head while cussing a bit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Forestman3 said:
Just from the way it sounds your messing with the sets to much.Make a set and check from a distance.
X2 The best I've done with coyotes is to make a set where you can check it from the truck or walk within a distance where you can check the set with binoculars. Stay away unless you absolutely have to walk up to it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Your sets aren't natural enough to them and your throwing up the red flag when they see/smell it.I agree 100% with kips advise.The yotes I trap will never hit an unblended set,and most guys use way too much lure.If you know their travelway, put a scent post set right in the path;not off to the side.A little gland and urine is all,and put it on or under something natural;rock,weed already there.none of this burnt wood or other stuff planted there.Make it appear natural and blended and you'll connect,but give it up to 2 weeks without fussing with it.Maybe just a squirt of urine after heavy rain.Leave the dirtholes for your fox trapping

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Subtle, blend, stay away......great advice. I caught one last year after 2 weeks of checking a urine flat set with binos from 100 yards. It snowed 6" one night and the next morning I had him, never touched that set for 2 weeks.
Nothing wrong with using two traps at each set until you get things figured out. One at 9&2 and another kept back a little ways if they are stopping short on you.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
There are places where coyotes stall out to survey the area before moving on. Start of woods roads, hilltops, outside corners. They stop there naturally to assess the situation. Give them something to smell while they are stopped.

·
Registered
749 Posts
when i set for coyotes i always set 2 sets...one set big and messy and one set blended like a flat set or scent post set..the big and messy set is always a dirt hole...usually i will catch the coyote in the dirt hole set...i ran a line with a good friend this year that didnt have any faith in dirtholes for coyotes..well he caught all 4 coyotes this year in dirt holes...

coyotes will be coyotes...they will walk past your sets on a daily basis and never touch them...but when they get the itch they will eventually work them....

have any of you guys ever notice that on a set that sits idle with coyotes going past it,it sets there for 2 weeks untouched and you pull that trap go back a week later only to find your dirt hole blown out and coyote tracks all around it...is it because that coyote knew that there was a trap there....my bet is on that coyote seen the big mess empty trap bed that looks like something has dug there and then that triggers the "what did he burry here or what was my fo digging after"...ive seen this many times...this is why i like the big flashy sets and a blended set in the same area....while i find that most of the educated coyotes in a area with many different trappers in are harder to catch they are not un-catchable...at times all you need to do is give them a lure thats not a very popular lure for your area and that is enough to catch them....no one has the coyote figured out when it comes to a coyote doing what they do and that is alota times ignoring sets...thats just a coyote. and you will learn to deal with it when dealing with coyotes...and to a extent fox as well..

·
Registered
932 Posts
Boy... This post is turning out to be very informative on coyote behavior and trapping....

Well done fellows...

These guys are some " great trappers "......

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have one lesson I learned.

A Coyote was caught, but popped a jaw out on my 1 3/4 Sleepy and pulled out. So I put a bigger trap back in the same bed, but I added another trap 10" back and 6" to the side, (<span style="font-style: italic">downwind of the flat set and old trap</span>). When Wiley came back to dig the original setup out successfully, He got busted by the other waiting for him to do so!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow...I got some really good tips on coyotes...We tried different things at different areas...but i think you are all right..I'm going to really blend the next set of traps..Start using more Urine post and flat sets as well...I agree they are more shy around a blown out dirthole...Thanks everybody for the great advice!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The pebbles aren't all back the way you found it! And I think you left your chew on the ground in the second pic.

Boy...I tell ya, that set looks slick!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Denny Emery said:
Blend them in.....

Before the set

After

i have to say that when your dealing with this type of materials you really have to make sure the stones arent lined up with your jaws...if a stone ends up in between those jaws your coyote will be on its merry way...nice looking set Denny..

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
These guys are spot on. If you don't go with all blended in sets, have at least 1 at each location. I have a lot of post hole and dirt hole sets out and the 3 coyotes I've caught all came on blended in sets (a flat, a urine post, and a big dirt hole dug into the side of a big dirt mound so EVERYTHING was bare dirt).

I've had action at the other sets but they won't commit.

Big, smelly, and flashy is ok, it works at times, and at the very least provides eye appeal, but you better have something subtle waiting too.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts