The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
<---- Coyote, have bigger more developed brains. They're not a wolf but they're more than a fox, Coyote DNA is linked with wolves and dogs which is why they can interbreed. Northeast variety reportedly has wolf dna and it is my experience they are a step up in difficulty from the western version. Fox have smaller and more repeatable travel patterns.

Wish I could have got it on camera but 2 years ago trapping in Idaho I watched a pair of coyotes intimately hunting rabbits with a badger. The coyote would post themselves waiting for something to exit while the badger would start entering holes in an area. In some cases the coyote would stand on the entrance mound and the badger would go under the yote belly into the hole. Badger liked to weave between the legs of the yote when they moved. It was once in a lifetime amazing! tried to figure out the balance as to how the coyote were a benefit to the badger, maybe they shared the kill. But coyote are smart!

http://digital-desert.com/wildlife/coyote/coyote-07.html

http://animals.mom.me/similarities-between-coyote-wolf-7787.html

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Hummm, looks like you have done some research on yotes and fox, but can you determine which of the following are smarter: dc21, bates or atr? Please include all scientific facts to back up conclusions.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
jimsdad said:
Hummm, looks like you have done some research on yotes and fox, but can you determine which of the following are smarter: dc21, bates or atr? Please include all scientific facts to back up conclusions.
In this matter research suggests that a lack of scientific data corresponds directly to an exponentially increasing lack of smartivity. So in other words of non-scientific research terms, dumb, dumber, and dumbest.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Every year it seems to be harder and harder to catch fox and at the same time I catch more yotes,,,,, the fox are obviously smarter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
From my perspective, neither are easy as I've had very PERSONAL battle of wits with both. But in my opinion, I'd say coyotes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I believe it depends in part of the number of exposures per night for each species. Sure, there is skill involved. The more individual animals that interact with your set, the better chance one won't be educated enough to avoid it. The difference in opinions In these responses I think are based on the coyote influx. Around here I would say coyotes are "harder" to catch because I simply don't have as many coyote set visits as fox set visits. Elsewhere could be the exact opposite with coyotes running out the fox causing more exposure to sets by coyotes.

·
Registered
626 Posts
it all comes down to educated or not in my mind. a fox that has seen a trap vs a coyote that hasnt is always gunna be abit smarter and same the other way.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Andrew C. said:
I believe it depends in part of the number of exposures per night for each species. Sure, there is skill involved. The more individual animals that interact with your set, the better chance one won't be educated enough to avoid it. The difference in opinions In these responses I think are based on the coyote influx. Around here I would say coyotes are "harder" to catch because I simply don't have as many coyote set visits as fox set visits. Elsewhere could be the exact opposite with coyotes running out the fox causing more exposure to sets by coyotes.
The youngest kid has the best answer in my opinion. Thoroughly dissected and well put into words.
I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
Andrew C. said:
The youngest kid has the best answer in my opinion. Thoroughly dissected and well put into words.
I couldn't agree more.
Thinking the same.

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
ill give my to cents if your going to trap yots you better have a lot of passion and blend your sets . yep there is guys that will catch a few with a open dirt pattern. but how many times did you walk up to your sets and see track in the out side off your dirt pattern. this time of year you have all the young one running around as the season goes on there getting thined out you have nothing but the season yots around . dec and jan you start to see posts there walking by my set and not stopping

bill

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
mark june did a study on fox vrs yote. Granted it was western yotes but the thing that i took away most from his findings was the fact that only about 1/3 of the yotes that visited a set dug. The average yote hung out for about 30 seconds to i believe 3 min.
fox on the other hand almost all dug and hung out for up to like 7 min.
most of the yotes stepped back 9 and off 3 from the hole. so that is why he sets his pan back 9 off 3 because you have less opportunity to get the yote but a fox that is jackin around for 7 min will probably step there at some point.
that being said i still dont catch much....lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts