The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Buckwheat...
Here's pics of thatthere active Coyote den I found earlier this week...

Let's take a closer look...

crossover between dens...

This side has a double entrance...

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Hey Buckwheat...

Tracks, size of den hole, width of crossover and experience from looking at den sites from different critters.

Here's a tip on canine dens (other than tracks), Fox and Coyote make a keyhole shaped hole (as pictured). Keyhole shape meaning taller than wider. Groundhogs make holes wider than taller.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Re: Hey Buckwheat...

Nice pictures. That is a very active den. I will be interested in seeing what goes on there. I wonder if they just clean it up because a tractor might have closed it up cutting corn.
Ernie

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Cool pictures. I wonder how far back they go? Did you try squirming your head down in the hole for a better look?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
It's a shame you can't put a trail cam up??? Let's see what is livein in them holes. Looks like G/hogs. Yotes den for havein young, but they travel wide and far. They bed down like a deer dose mostly. G/hogs are out and about as of today anyways. Didn't want to waste a RAGE on one. Oh well imo g/hog home....later

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Looks like they were opened up after the cutting. Might be coyotes trying to get at a rabbit, wounded pheasant, groundhog, or a red fox, that they chased into a groung hog hole.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Hern,
I know you have way more experience than I at this thing but don't you think it is too early for any females to be preparing a den for when they mate etc.? The biologists always say they don't use the den very much other than when they are rearing pups. Could the tracks all around there just be coyotes inspecting the holes for prey?
Just asking so don't get upset with me. Can't you drive a nice stake in the ground about 20 ft away and put up a trail camera if there is no trees around.? That would solve it for sure.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Petejc, I am not a biologists. I have found Coyote and Fox dens during fur season. From my observations, I feel SOME Canines hole up from time to time during normal weather conditions.
Maybe pups returning to den site for a brief time or a dispersed Canine cleaning out or checking out an ole den.
I never seen them continuely use (day to day) site during fall and winter.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Read on...</span>
Folks, I had trail cams in truck the day I found den. I ask farmer for stake and sledge hammer.
That night, 2 Coyotes exited the dens.
Next night a Red Fox checked out the den but didn't enter. He pee'd and left. (no Coyote returned)
Next night, a Raccoon checked out the dens and entered. (no Coyote returned)

·
Banned
4,532 Posts
Hern,

Nice job on the den site, cool stuff. Funny how a coon would enter there and not be afraid, especially with the yote smell lingering around. We learn something every day about these critters, don't we?

John

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Well Hern, I guess that clears it up then. You could have told us about the pics at the beginning...would have saved me a lot of typing lol

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
17 asks-
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">what kind of den hole is this?</span></span>

Looks like one of my dirthole sets...

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Petejc states-
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">You could have told us about the pics at the beginning</span></span>
Pete, am sorry. I never intended to post on the internet about my findings. Never thought of it. But I was still 'watching' thatthere den for my own knowledge, when I first posted. After I read someones reply about placing a trail cam, (inwhich I already had one in place) I thought I better post finding to that point.
Pete, I rarely make a post on this page, but I do reply to others posts on this page.
On this web site over the years, I have given out plenty of info only to watch others post my findings for theirs.
Am reluctant to post my experiences, but I love this site and will continue to reply and help others with questions and tweek their styles.

<span style="font-size: 8pt"><span style="font-style: italic">Hern staying downwind</span></span>

·
Banned
4,532 Posts
Hern said:
Petejc states-
You could have told us about the pics at the beginning
Pete, am sorry. I never intended to post on the internet about my findings. Never thought of it. But I was still 'watching' thatthere den for my own knowledge, when I first posted. After I read someones reply about placing a trail cam, (inwhich I already had one in place) I thought I better post finding to that point.
Pete, I rarely make a post on this page, but I do reply to others posts on this page.
On this web site over the years, I have given out plenty of info only to watch others post my findings for theirs.
Am reluctant to post my experiences, but I love this site and will continue to reply and help others with questions and tweek their styles.

Hern staying downwind

Keep posting your info and tips, Hern. Those that know you appreciate your input, and those that don't will soon learn.

John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts