The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine was turkey hunting on Friday and found a coyote den. He is a big whitetail hunter and did what he thought was right!! What's your opinion ?? I've been there and have let them walk but I also trap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can see why he would do it, particularly with that fawn head there. I am a predator hunter and think they are a lil out of control.I myself just wouldn't have it in me to kill those lil ones, call.me soft I guess.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He archery hunts 3 states every year. And has no intrest in predator hunting. He has hooked me up with some properties to trap.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Personally, I'd have watched them, and then left them alone, or maybe set up a trail cam to see if I could get some neat pics. Just my preference. However, I have no issue with his choice.
p.s. I see this getting ugly before it's over!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I am not judging him....Coyotes kill a great deal of fawns as well as grown deer. The picture is a tad inflammatory if viewed by those people that do not subscribe to our lifestyle. Just saying.
Thanks for sharing....I found it very interesting.
Dave

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
X 2 - but I don't think it's going to get ugly. Maybe intense and contentious as there are folks here who have strong opinions; and this is what makes this board valuable.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am a coyote hunter and hate seeing this kind of stuff. There is a post on here that is about seeing road killed deer and a week old fawn dead along the road that troubled the guy. Well, that's how I feel. Your friend is a real man!

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
I realize that my opinion will differ from many, but personally I wouldn't kill those pups or the mother who was with them. Killing her basically is killing the pups anyway. I kinda do have a problem with it and posting the pic.
I wouldn't shoot those pups any more than I would a couple week old fawn. They are just out there being coyotes and doing what they do. They have been around for a while now and we still have plenty of deer. I do not place a higher value on one species than another, but I know the PA poster child (deer) does that to people.
I won't throw stones at the person who did it but I don't agree with it.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I couldn't do it but am ok you did. Last summer I shot a big female which wasn't an issue but during turkey this yr a smaller one came to check out my decoys. Hesitated on shooting and it was gone out of shotgun range. Prob do the same again. If I had elected to pull the trigger on them I'd walk away wo taking a pic or looking anymore then to confirm death.

I to would delete the pic.

·
Registered
19,735 Posts
I probably would not kill them but no issues with the fellow that did.

·
Registered
23,348 Posts
i couldnt do it. i did go coyote hunting last week around the neighborhood (suburbs) simply because there is a large coyote walking right up to houses and backyards.

most likely looking for dog food or small pets. i think its ok to kill that one if i get a chance but it might be a mom with pups?

if i shoot her, the pups die. if its a male thats hunting to feed the pups and i shoot him, the pups "might" die?

i agree, remove the photo. nothing against what happened, some future deer and other critters have been saved. Predators cant go to the grocery store so they have to eat too and this keeps everything balance.

i found a coyote den once while hunting groundhogs. went back later when the wind was right to take photos but never saw them again. they moved.

i just cant kill the pups.

·
Registered
33 Posts
After reading a lot of these posts I bet anti's wouldnt know what to say. Here we are all hunters, therefore we kill. But the thing is none of us want to do any ill harm to these animals and we love seeing them thrive. Most if not all understand each animal has its place. Bottom line, we may take their lives but we all have compassion for them as well. Apologies if this wasn't worded well but I believe you all know what I mean.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very well said Olboy.. I debated posting the pic but thought it would be better for discussion. The most hated animal in the state by many and yet still deserving serious soul searching before pulling the trigger at this time of year.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts