The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on if guys are using decoys to lure in coyote. They are selling for $35+ and I can't come up for a reason on spending it on a stuffed animal. So does anyone have luck with them? Also if so, is it at night or day, and in what type of terrain it is your hunting. I.e. open fields- thick brush

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have been debating on whether to try a coyote decoy, it will work well in open areas at night but I bet you wont see any foxes, iv also thought about a turkey decoy in the evening or first light morning time, a friend of mine had a fox run off with one in the spring in broad daylight while turkey hunting.

·
Premium Member
24,226 Posts
I thought about using a coyote decoy especially during the breeding season. Last year we had 4 coyotes just inside the woodline barking and howling at us and i'm sure a decoy would have drawn them into the field.

·
Premium Member
24,226 Posts
I hear these work good

Decoy

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have called in coyotes within a few yds. during spring turkey season,a pregnant female and a male.I know another turkey hunter with same results.I wonder if a C/O may consider it attempting to turkey hunt out of season if you have a turkey call on you.

·
Banned
491 Posts
I use an inflatable turkey decoy, even at night with the hope of perhaps giving the coyote something other than me to look at... I have recently called a few in, and had them charging towards the decoy, but was unable to finish the deal....

·
Banned
491 Posts
standard distress calls - usually cottontail. It is my understanding that while the coyotes are smart and cunning, just because they are hearing a rabbit distress call and seeing a turkey decoy they will not associate it with a 'trap'. I place mine about 30 yards in front of me, about 10 yards away from my call.... i would be curious to hear others experiences.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a rabbit too its and edge woblin rabbit thing, and I did have three coyotes cone in on it right infront of me one of the first times I used it, also 2 weeks ago I blasted a red fox while it sat there looking at it fron the side of a feild, i hadbt called in 10 mins so I dought it would have been there otherwise it was about 930am, also right before that a hawk came in to feet of it then turned, I use it wgen I feel like carrying it but not all the time I hate buying batterys

·
Registered
183 Posts
I did call fish and game here in NJ and they said yes it is leagle to use a turkey decoy and turkey call in this state for coyotes.I will be doing it and will report.Turkeys are one of our most abundant prey animal,very few cottontails around anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts