The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
national geo....just another antihunting rag.

"..females that lose family members have larger litters at younger ages"

Well Unrational Geographic, hate to burst your anti-hunting bubble, but that female that loses a "family members" has no idea if it...wandered off... were killed by a car.....sick and died or went and got a job at Acme. It's just "nature".

... I'll kill the female and all her family members and theres no larger litter to worry about...no vacuum...because any transient that fills the void...gets killed too in a couple weeks.
That's why it's so important to let them come close..take your time...make every shot count and be patient and let the yote stop before EVERY shot to kill the pair... triple... quad...or quint...(never shot six solo on 1 set so I stopped at quint)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I was thinking what they meant is, if a female losing family members meant the beta coyotes will start breeding. If an alpha is killed then the betas will start breeding which in essence you end up with more coyotes. That was from what I read from Wayne Grady years ago.
I have heard the same. Limbhanger, I always believed that a family unit knows who is around on a regular basis. A closer pack structure due to having up to 25% wolf in coyotes in the north east. When role call is called and members are missing more coyotes will be produced, is what much research has shown. Now if the breeding females are removed, I would believe it may take some time to restock an area. That is unless a relentless pursuit continues, as you have described.

I would enjoy a discussion on your thoughts about coyote behavior in general. I catch coyotes, but my interaction has been limited outside of the catch circle. Gotta get me a rig.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
3 properties I trapped on a regular basis for a week or 2 or 3 for 35 years kept getting better numbers of catches. Missed 3 years in a row Elk hunting and covid. This month we spent 18-20 days and didn't catch a coyote on those farms. 2 farms are close . The farmer said they didn't have coyotes around. He said their groundhogs were back and that and not hearing them made him believe it. Not sure what's going on there. I have theories, but that's it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts