The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never saw one colored like this before its back is all black and is very dark...ive seen all black before but never like this one...what do you guys think

·
Registered
615 Posts
the soldiers brought yotes to tobyhanna army depot got disharged & cut em loose ....was coon hunting near swiftwater & heard them singing....many many moons ago.hhhhunted W/ ed. Metzger who was the constable...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here is a pic of coyote eye. Notice the yellow ring. All pure coyotes will have it. Let us know if this beauty does. Either way great job deer killer down.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I was taught that a pure coyote will always have four distinct color bands on its guard hairs, coy dogs and other canines have three or less. pull a couple of guard hairs
from the back or back of neck and examine them. You will see four distinct color bands if it is a yote. I am not an expert but have had the chance to examine many coyotes and all had the four bands.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
heres a couple better pics, check out the tan spots next to the eyes

heres the eye i couldnt get my flash to tun off but you can still see the yellow

my buddy actually pulled the trigger on her...7:15 am came into adult cottontail under 5 mins...22-250, 150 yards...this is his first game animal ever he just started hunting, heck of a way to start.

I just got back from dropping it off at the taxidermist, he wasnt sure if he wanted to mount it and i told him if he didnt i was going to...the pics dont do it justice the color in it was beautiful.

also she had to be eating very good, had a ton of fat on her

·
Registered
927 Posts
I guess you found my dog, thanks.
Why did he not want to mount it? Did he think it was a dog, and so what if it was. lol

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Coyote. They come in many different color phases.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
could be either but heres my thoughts.... russ carman said years ago (early 70) that he believed when the yote first migrated in that female yotes would breed with dogs because of a low yote population. some of the first ones killed and caught were pretty funky looking. as the population expanded and there were more of them the "dog" got mostly bred out and less crossing was done because there was no need for it. i see you are from southern pa were there are less yotes that in the north. so it is very possable that it is a crossed up critter or on of its near ansesters was. just my thoughts. cool critter either way.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
bobcat said:
could be either but heres my thoughts.... russ carman said years ago (early 70) that he believed when the yote first migrated in that female yotes would breed with dogs because of a low yote population. some of the first ones killed and caught were pretty funky looking. as the population expanded and there were more of them the "dog" got mostly bred out and less crossing was done because there was no need for it. i see you are from southern pa were there are less yotes that in the north. so it is very possable that it is a crossed up critter or on of its near ansesters was. just my thoughts. cool critter either way.
I tend to agree with bobcat. Back in the 60's a good friend of mind's father trapped at least 2 coydogs in North Central Pa. The father was a semi-professional trapper who trapped several states and knew his animals very well. He gave the same explanation. So I'm thinking this coyote has some Fido genetics somewhere in his family tree.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts