The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got to be good friends with a local farmer and he has extra cow manure that he does not spread on his fields. I said id haul it out for him and use it. When should i apply this to my foodplots, he is in no hurry to get rid of it yet but he said anytime i want some i can have it.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Sounds like you landed in a big pile of . . . . "stuff"

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
anytime. its just organic matter that breaks down and fertilizes your soil. Some manure can carry weed seeds but those are everywhere anyway.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
put it on right now. it gets put on after corn comes off for winter wheat.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Depending on what is in your food plot and when you would apply. Manure is high in Nitrogen!!. It also has weed seed in it from the different grasses and weeds that they eat. I wouldnt put any cow manure on my plots, I would just fertilize it with what ever a soil sample says to put on it. It is a nice jesture to the farmer to get rid of some for him, But "I" would pass on his offer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Manure can be applied on fields any time, but I think it is best before planting. Hard to beat if you are planting annual crops such as cereal grains, corn, or beans/peas. Also great for building up nutrient levels in new plot sites.

Nutrient content varies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts