1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
27,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Saw the map before, but looking at it makes me wonder; look at the northern tier counties of Pa, Warren, McKean, Potter, and Tioga, very few cases. But cross the border straight north and cases go up substantially, some more that, doesnt make sense. Doesnt Pa know how to count, or is NY greatly increasing their numbers? How can numbers increase that much just crossing the state border?

·
Administrator
27,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saw the map before, but looking at it makes me wonder; look at the northern tier counties of Pa, Warren, McKean, Potter, and Tioga, very few cases. But cross the border straight north and cases go up substantially, some more that, doesnt make sense. Doesnt Pa know how to count, or is NY greatly increasing their numbers? How can numbers increase that much just crossing the state border?
It might have to do with the testing. I don't know what's going on with those border counties, but Lewis County NY where I live has a push going on right now because our governor told us we cannot open until we do more testing.

·
Registered
21,984 Posts
If it is anything like here in the Lehigh Valley it is probably related to where the folks who fled NYC when Covid-19 blew up there. There are deep ties to NYC here in Allentown so a bunch came here and it exploded. I shake my head daily when I see as many as 6 cars in our valet lane at the hospital with NY and Jersey plates.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I don't know the answer as to why the NY counties bordering PA would have more covid cases but here's a thought. Chautauqua Co., NY, just north of Warren Co., Pa, is home to the Chautauqua Institution on the shore of Chautauqua Lake. It's a pretty exclusive conclave and some wealthy NYC area folks have summer homes there. I was told by some people in the area that when things were heating up in NYC some of those folks traveled to stay at their summer places. If that's all true they may have brought the virus with them. One possible explanation I guess.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Sig, the Lehigh Valley got hit with a double whammy, people escaping from NYC, and how many from the area work in NYC. I know Pike and Monroe got hit hard from escapees.

The biggest part of the problem, this was in NYC and surrounding areas by late January, coming from Europe before anyone realized it, and spreading fast. By the time they banned travel from Europe, it was too late.

What is also interesting, the west coast was hit with covid directly from China, which didnt seem to cause nearly as many problems as we have here on the east cost. Our covid was a mutated strain coming in from Europe. Was there something in that mutation that made it harder to contain, and more deadly to the people who got it?

If only we had known and shut the doors to our country on Jan. 1.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If it is anything like here in the Lehigh Valley it is probably related to where the folks who fled NYC when Covid-19 blew up there. There are deep ties to NYC here in Allentown so a bunch came here and it exploded. I shake my head daily when I see as many as 6 cars in our valet lane at the hospital with NY and Jersey plates.
Understand completely. Our son lives in the Phoenix area and the CA plates outnumber the AZ plates. The county he is in has the highest rate of confirmed and deaths.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The biggest part of the problem, this was in NYC and surrounding areas by late January, coming from Europe before anyone realized it, and spreading fast. By the time they banned travel from Europe, it was too late.

What is also interesting, the west coast was hit with covid directly from China, which didnt seem to cause nearly as many problems as we have here on the east cost. Our covid was a mutated strain coming in from Europe. Was there something in that mutation that made it harder to contain, and more deadly to the people who got it?

If only we had known and shut the doors to our country on Jan. 1.
I think in the case of NYC, it is a function of population density. Just soooooo many people jammed together. Sidewalks. Subways. Places like Seattle are not like that.

Covid in NYC could be from anywhere. Its the business hub of the world, people from Europe and Asia going there constantly.

By itself as a sickness covid is mild in comparison to others. But one of its strengths is how contagious it is, as a new virus with no antibodies in people.

Putting that bug in the cauldron of NYC is a worst-case scenario. Bet by the time the first case was identifed in the US a million people already had it. And were out there getting on planes, mingling in crowds, going to stadiums.

As soon as widespread, easy access antibody testing is available, the number of people who already had it will be beyond shocking.

O the flip side, that would drive down the mortality rate significantly. It could lead credence to the position that these shutdowns went way, way too far. So don't expect that widespread testing until after November.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts