The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished on Thursday, but had to visit several streams.

The first stream is a large limestone influenced stream that has several species of fish besides trout. The water was a little cloudy and I hoped that I would be able to catch some big trout. It took about 15 minutes to catch my first trout, an 11 inch wild brown.

It took another half hour before I caught another, but it was a nice 14 1/2 inch wild brown, which hit a #7 Countdown Rapala.

I stayed there another 45 minutes and caught a 13 inch wild brown and two smallmouth bass. I lost a brown in the 15-16 inch range.

I climbed the bank to my car and then drove to a nearby limestoner. I saw a fawn moving through the thick grass soon after starting.

The action was initially good. I caught seven wild browns in the first half hour, but only one the rest of the hour. I lost another good sized brown. I fished that section for another 1/2 hour after that and landed only three more wild browns.

I drove upstream to a different section of the same stream. I caught two wild browns and lost another before I noticed that the sky had darkened. I initially thought of fishing up further but thought better of it and started back to the car. I heard thunder in the distance and the wind picked up. It started to rain on the way back to the car and the thunder got closer. Within a few minutes of taking refuge in the car, the rain came down in torrents. Even though the rain didn't last long, there were pools of muddy water all over the road and I knew that the area streams would be muddy in short order, so I drove to another stream about an hour away.

The stream is a fertile limestoner but can be a very difficult stream. The stream has produced quite a few big trout for me over the years and I hoped to connect with a couple. Unfortunately, I didn't even see one while I was there. I fished the stream for 2 1/2 hours and caught 18 trout (16 browns, 1 rainbow, 1 brook). The stream is a class A wild brown trout stream, but some rainbows and brooks find their way into the stream.

I decided to briefly try one more stream. It is also a limestoner. Three trout came to hand in the 1/2 hour I was there; 1 rainbow, 1 brook, and an 18 inch brown on my last cast of the day. I noticed the bright red spot on the adipose fin right away.

Overall I caught 37 trout and 2 smallmouth bass in six hours. All were caught on spinners except for one trout and the two bass.

TT

·
Premium Member
24,201 Posts
That last one is really pretty

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I really like the bright red spot on the adipose fin.

Trout fishing options are diminishing. Most of the state, especially the SE and SC, need rain.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Yes we need rain! Last Tuesday I visited a stream my brother and I fished about 3 weeks ago and in a short stretch of stream we caught a lot of trout. When I got there I was really disappointed, it was practically dried up.

That's a beauty of a brown!

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Based on the fins I would say it's a stocked fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts