The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<a href="http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/1109/680334.html" target="_blank">

Newport, Pa. - A district judge has slapped an additional fine of $1,500 on a Perry County man who says he was defending himself and his dog when he shot a black bear at his home last month.

Judge Daniel McGuire today found 27-year-old Dustin Lauver guilty on a charge of illegally taking or possessing game or wildlife.

Lauver, who lives in a rural area near Newport, says he heard something fighting with his dog and went outside early in the morning to investigate. He says he fired two warning shots with a .22 caliber rifle but soon saw something coming at him and fired again, soon realizing that he had shot and killed the bear.

He called the Pennsylvania Game Commission, which fined him about $500 for killing the 200-pound female out of season.

Lauver decided to fight the fine in court, but McGuire tacked on the cost of replacing the bear - upping the penalty to more than $2,000.</a>

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
gues if it ever happens to me, then my planned excuse that I was cleaning my gun and it went off, won't hold water either huh?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Gee... I guess the MDJ didn't buy his story. Hhmmm... What do you know about that?

I wonder if he'll appeal. What do you think John?

I know it'll stir things up, but where are all the guys who thought he did the right thing and was only defending himself?? Any thoughts now guys?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
he should not be allowed to own a firearm either since he is so unsafe, but I agree he got whats comming to him.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is his right to appeal, but maybe he should quit while he is behind. I reckon the judge decided the case on evidence instread of knee jerk reaction to the tale he told. Funny how an investigation can show a different side to the story.

·
Registered
224 Posts
He is appealing, He is not allowed to own a gun because of a past recored. How can his wife be allowed to have a gun in the house? I hope the judge he goes in front of hits him with even higher fines. This guys a jerk

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Ya got to love it when a plan comes together, I hope the dummy appeals pays all the attorney fees and slap hard again. One for the good guys. Give that magistrate a sport award.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I wonder what really happened at his house that night? It's obvious the WCO saw something different than self defense or protection of property. The DJ seemed to think the same as the WCO did. It would be nice get the whole story. Or, the truth. Not a story from a man with a gun trying to cover something up.

·
Super Moderator
13,775 Posts
What wasn’t Karl there to defend him? Karl’s previous posts sounded like he was sure the guy was just defending himself and the WCO couldn’t prove he was guilty of illegally killing the bear unless the guy told him he was.

Iguess the WCO was able to use real evidence to support his charges after all. But, then I knew he was able to do that from the beginning because that is what WCOs do.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
He is not allowed to own a gun because of a past record
If true, then the Perry Co. DA should prosecute him for possessing and firing the rifle.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ballistics, inconsistencies in questioning?! A .22 would be hard pressed to stop a bear charging or attacking without a very well placed shot at which time you probably wouldn't be able to get a well placed shot. This is not CSI Perry Co. PA. I'm glad he recieved such fines from the PGC and ultimately the District Judge.

·
Super Moderator
4,589 Posts
He may need a new shovel with a longer handle.The hole he is digging for himself is getting pretty deep.He should have plead guilty and paid the $500 fine.Now when this is over I am sure the criminal charges over the gun will start.Sometimes you just need to take whats coming instead of fighting/asking for more.Stupidity at its finest.

·
Registered
24,784 Posts
That great American philosopher Mike Tyson was once asked about whether it worried him that his opponent was training hard and seem to have developed a fight plan against him. Tyson respond with something to the effect of "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face". So true. Once you get knocked back on your heals, everything changes, with your plans often getting scrapped in the process

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<a href="http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1258772112251600.xml&coll=1" target="_blank">The Pennsylvania Game Commission can have his hunting license back, Dustin W. Lauver said Friday morning after he was found guilty of killing a bear out of season and ordered to pay more than $2,000 in fines and costs.

"I'm not ever buying a hunting license again," Lauver said.

It's not because Lauver likes the idea of giving up hunting. But he'd rather do that than give another penny of his money to the agency he feels wrongfully prosecuted him for shooting a 220-pound bear that was roaming behind his Perry County home and driving Lauver's pet pit bull crazy.

Had Lauver pleaded guilty and paid the $565 fine on the citation, he would have avoided a $1,500 "replacement fee" McGuire added at Hower's request. McGuire told Lauver the law does not give him leeway to stay that cost, which is set by the Game Commission.</a>

Click above for full article.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts