The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t been on for quite a while, so first thing is a big HEY to all you guy’s.

Finally broke down and bought one of these contraptions. Settled on a Horton Vision due to it’s balance and compact dimensions. Very happy with it so far although I’m not crazy about the 4x scope it came with, seems to me a 2x or 3x would be better but it will have to do for now.

Couple questions:

1. How much rail lube do you use, how often?

2. I’m concerned about cocking in the tree stand and possibly having the bow slip through the rungs and being damaged, but I’m also concerned about accidental dry fire hoisting a cocked bow. Thought about building a bracket out of aluminum channel and bolting it to one of the rungs to hold the stirrup. Do most of you cock on the ground and hoist the cocked but unloaded bow up to your stand or do you cock it in the stand?

3. I blew a sting up almost right away and traced the cause to the half moon nock on one of my bolts. The nock was indexed 90 degrees off which placed the “sharp” edge against the string and blew up the string the first time I shot the bolt. Of course I’ve checked the index on the rest of the bolts and corrected a couple that were off but flat nocks would eliminate the possibility. What are the pros and cons of half moon vs. flat nocks.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
manual say about every 25 shots but I use the rail lube when ever the rail looks dry-

can't help with the other questions---Sorry!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I put a good drop on both sides of the rail every 10 shots.as for flat or moon..i think you get a better hookup with the moon noks.the string fits right into the groove and with the flat it just sits against it..you have to check your xbow and arrows every time you shoot for nicks and cracked arrows, bolts comming loose from vibration,I make my own arrows and never glue the noks in...that way, i can install another noks it something happens and i hav'nt had one come out yet..as for cocking the bow before you get up in the stand,i do it..just becareful when your pulling it up or cock it when you get up..just becareful...

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
loridr said:
I haven’t been on for quite a while, so first thing is a big HEY to all you guy’s.
Good to see you here!!

1. How much rail lube do you use, how often?
I use very little. I apply every 50 or so shots then wipe most of it off.

2. I’m concerned about cocking in the tree stand and possibly having the bow slip through the rungs and being damaged, but I’m also concerned about accidental dry fire hoisting a cocked bow. Do most of you cock on the ground and hoist the cocked but unloaded bow up to your stand or do you cock it in the stand?
I always cock on the ground and hoist it up. No arrow on the rail, of course.

3. I blew a sting up almost right away and traced the cause to the half moon nock on one of my bolts. The nock was indexed 90 degrees off which placed the “sharp” edge against the string and blew up the string the first time I shot the bolt. Of course I’ve checked the index on the rest of the bolts and corrected a couple that were off but flat nocks would eliminate the possibility. What are the pros and cons of half moon vs. flat nocks.
Welcome to the world of moon nocks. Not only must you make sure they are indexed correctly but inspect the nocks often for damage. A little crack can cause the nock to give when the bow is shot resulting in a dry fire. I wish all bow manufacturers would go to flat nocks.

Always use the nock recommended by the manufacturer. Again a dry fire can happen when using the wrong nock.

Best of luck with your Vision and I wish you much success with it.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

Not sure what nocks are recommended by Horton, but since the bolts in the kit have half moon I'll assume I should stick with those. The dozen Gold Tip Lazer II's I bought have half moon's so I'm good. I'm shooting Monotech G5's because I already had a bunch of em; they are flying well on the Lazer II's and I trust em on deer as I've had good luck on kills with them out of the compound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts