The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are two of the better bucks who survived the season last year. Got a cam picture of the second buck on June 13th and growth looks good. Based on previous pictures, he will be 4.5 years old this season.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was around during the season and we got pictures of him. But nobody saw him in the woods. All sightings and cam pics were at night once we got into the season. There was an 11-pointer that hung out with him in August that our neighbor shot. Not sure what they were doing in September. We scale back the cameras around Labor Day weekend. Obviously, we can't use any corn within 30 days and we also want to keep the intrusion into the woods to a minimum leading up to the archery opener. So, we just have cameras on a couple food plots and the bucks show up at night.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have so many people in the woods around me that the nice ones tend to go nocturnal or get pushed up into the huge corn field right next to the SGL I hunt... SGL then RailRoad then corn fields that get left up until late in the year. Good luck getting him this year!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
our property gets used by recreational folks more than hunters. ATVs, hikers, dog walkers, etc...That doesn't seem to bother the deer. Probably a few things at work. 1.) they seem to stick to trails, whereas hunters go into the woods. 2.) they keep moving do deer don't feel threatened. hunters sneak and stop. 3.) halfway through archery, the leaves fall and I think this makes the deer that much more spooky.

We don't get too many archery hunters where I hunt. Most are gun hunters. The land is big woods. Lots of laurel and blueberry thickets, swamps and overgrown clear cuts. Deer are like needles in a haystack during the day time. They we only have a couple fields, so it's predictable where they will be at midnight.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
I've wondered several times whether you got the big 8 or not. Can't wait to see this year's pics after the velvet is gone. Good luck. Would be nice to see a pic with a tag filling that notch in the ear!!!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, nobody got him. There was a big 11 point that was with him occasionally. My neighbor shot him. He went 143", which I guess isn't BIG for an 11 pointer, per se, but he sure looked good to me.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let's just say that I don't think anybody in PA who had a chance to shoot a 143 inch 11 point would let it walk. walking
You're right about that. And, the very night after he was shot, another big buck moved right into his turf. A nice 10 pointer. Heavy, long sweeping main beams. Short tines, but still a brute in my book.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.