The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Very good, the silent majority is finally interviewed. I deal with anti's daily and the amount of disinformation that is being quoted from the internet is staggering.
This is an industry that is trying and succeeding in doing things the right way.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I see no where in that article that she called and reported to DEP her findings and concerns. Also, the drilling companies have presumption unless they can prove otherwise....only getting half of the story here.....

·
Registered
777 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
What really gets me is how DEP can fine Chesapeak and settle on an agreement,for well water contamination.But the person or persons that are effected by it has to take them to court.(But then again thier are still people saying fracking does'nt contaminate water wells.)I do know fracking is a part of drilling and anyone who contaminates someones well should be held responsible.If you & I did it we would probably see jail time.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yes you are right they have not fracked.

And as stated by the MR. Hall who visited her from Chesapeak said.
“It’s a common misconception that fracking is what contaminates well water. It’s the actual drilling process that causes the first phase of water contamination.” 

But does that matter,its contaminated.
Benchmark informed me they were direct contaminates of the natural gas industry.

And I would like to say and preach, its never been proven that building a pipeline or road to a gas well pad has ever contaminated someones water.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
according to neighbors of the strouds, there has been barium in the wells in that area for years, long before the gas well was drilled.

mrs stroud is a hair dresser, not a expert on gas drilling,or geology. by that i mean , when she speaks to the press, she is a disgruntled home owner....make that a very mad home owner......she is not speaking as a expert, so it is not right to post articles of what she has said as being fact,relating to the cause. she only knows she has barium in her well, not how or when it got there.

i know mrs stroud and her husband...and son, and i consider them friends, so i am in no way bashing her/them, or what is going on with their well. i'm just saying that there are a lot of gray areas with this deal....it's not cut and dried ,caused by gas drilling

·
Registered
463 Posts
buzz said:
according to neighbors of the strouds, there has been barium in the wells in that area for years, long before the gas well was drilled.

mrs stroud is a hair dresser, not a expert on gas drilling,or geology. by that i mean , when she speaks to the press, she is a disgruntled home owner....make that a very mad home owner......she is not speaking as a expert, so it is not right to post articles of what she has said as being fact,relating to the cause. she only knows she has barium in her well, not how or when it got there.

i know mrs stroud and her husband...and son, and i consider them friends, so i am in no way bashing her/them, or what is going on with their well. i'm just saying that there are a lot of gray areas with this deal....it's not cut and dried ,caused by gas drilling
This is the case with most complaints and accusations about water well contamination and gas well drilling. Almost all of the cases have been proven false. This type of issue is a direct result of the poor state of water well data/regulation in PA. The water wells have been affected by methane or in this case barium for years, maybe since they were drilled, and the landowner never knew it or worse knew about it and now see a way of getting some money and a new water supply.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I wonder why NY. State extended its fracking ban for another year?that was due to run out this July,maybe were thier testing grounds.

·
Registered
24,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats not a done deal in NY, the State assembly passed the year extension...still in Committee in the Senate I believe

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
westonhunter said:
I wonder why NY. State extended its fracking ban for another year?that was due to run out this July,maybe were thier testing grounds.
yep, just like Texas, Louisianna, Oklahoma, Colarado etc..etc... were all testing grounds for PA.

i'm thinken that if maybe 40 more staes "test" this, then the wacko liberals in NYS may give it a go.....

·
Registered
777 Posts
Anybody know the number of cities in this state and West virgina that have banned fracking recently? How about the number of other states or countries?

·
Registered
777 Posts
The wife who is a teacher, just told me about another student and family that has been affected by barium contaminated in thier water.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a numbness on my left elbow and I can't sleep at night....must be from the fracing of a well 23 miles to the south....

just because someone is ill doesn't mean that it is from drilling. I highly doubt these people are sick from fracing gas wells.

Don't know why I even respond to this lunacy.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Why does it matter what others are doing?

All that really matters is that the decisions made are objective and based on good scientific data. The problem is that the media reports do not typically fit that criteria, which is very true for both sides of the table.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
westonhunter said:
4 days no comment,What about France and Quebeac Dumb liberals or do they care about thier water?
http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/water/fracking/fracking-action-center/map/

info from "activist" web site.....i consider the source,....i read the article on there site about the young couple who want to rent land to organic farm and sell homesteading tools.........because of gas, they cant pretend there living in "little house on the prairie".......

·
Registered
777 Posts
Question for 1true
Do you live in Alleghany County? If so what type of shale formation are they drilling in? and what type of drilling are they doing?According to DEP website Alleghany county has had 20 wells drilled in a Non-Marcellus shale.This year as of 6/6/2011 compared to Bradford county who has 158 in Marcellus shale as of 6/6/2011
In 2010 it shows Alleghany had 1 drilling in the Marcellus shale compared over 350 drilled in Bradford County.

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/minres/oilgas/RIG10.htm

But what I don't understand why the The City Council of Pittsburgh finds that the commercial extraction of natural gas in the urban environment of Pittsburgh poses a significant threat to the health, safety, and welfare of residents and neighborhoods within the City.by adding Chapter 618 entitled Marcellus Shale Natural Gas Drilling.To the Pittsburgh Code, Title Six, Conduct, Article 1 Regulated Rights and actions.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts