·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
lookin good, love me some pulled pork

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I got a propane conversion for my brinkman smoker. It came on monday. I put it together and figured I might as well try it out. I got home hooked it up to a propane bottle and fired it up. while the smoker got up to temp I threw the rub on the two shoulder roasts I had. once they were rubbed with a dry rub (any will do there is alot of recipes out there) I took em out and put them on the smoker. I was using hickory wood chunks for my smoke and cooked till they were at 160 deg. I then foiled em and pulled the wood chips off and let it go till it was to 200. I pulled them off and brought them in the house and wrapped em with towels and stuck em in a cooler to rest. it was around midnight when I pulled em in the house. after they were brought in I went to bed till morning. I woke around 5 which was oversleeping for me. I pulled the butts out and pulled them apart and stuck in a gallon baggie and brought to work. I do not have any after pics at all though. I got too busy and didn't have the time to snap a pic.

to give credit where credit is due I learned this process at the smoking meat forums tater allways posts about. I read a bunch. I recommend it for anyone getting into smoking.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
YUP you did them excatly right, bet they were good.

that site is a great source of info.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they were good. I plan on doing some smoked turkey breasts this saturday depending on what I get into. I might do em friday night. hard to say.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
i might try to do a butt this weekend, i like havein it in the freezer for a easy meal. i ussually do wings on saturday night and they are awesome on the smoker

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how long does it take to do wings on a smoker? what temp and time limit. I am going to a birthday party on Saturday and am not sure what I want to make to take along. wings would be pretty friggin awesome personally. I was thinking another butt a fatty and either ABT's or maybe wings now. hmmm

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
i do my wings on the drum smoker i built( i love the drum). they take about 2 hours start to finish and i cook them at 275-300 center drum temp. after i put the sauce on them i move to the grill to crisp them up. they are incredible. i use a variety of woods oak,maple,apple and cherry i try different combos of them.try them and cook the way you like there is no right or wrong. for a party i'd do a butt.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have you ever heard of using grapevine for smoke? I seen on smf that they have and had good results. I am gonna try it on a turkey and see what happens.

yeah I think a butt would work better for a party.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep thats what i did

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
I haven't ever heard of useing grapevine, If ya try it let us know.

I use mostly oak maple and cherry just cause I have a lot on hand. I got apple to but not as much as the others.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
two 5lbers for this afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
ya need to get a maverick et-73 remote thermo, they are real nice especially this time of year.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah I need to get a better thermo

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
if you upgrade go right for the maverick et-73, i can monitor my food and smoker temp from inside the house, a good instant read is nice too. the thermo pen gets rave reviews but is alittle pricey, i got a cheaper one from lowes and it works good

heres the instant read i got, works good

thermo

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
wife just came home with a big bag of peppers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts