The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few more still frames from videos.....I am using a drift camera...if anyone is interested in them I can get them discounted...pm me and I will send you the promo codes. It's made my bird dog hunting even more entertaining.

Flight

My favorite 28 ga sending one

If you look close you can see the chukar running around to the left of my dog

Same chukar running in front of the dog

My buddy ruger

·
Registered
75 Posts
Where do you have the camera mounted? I just got a gopro with a ton of accessories (lcd bacpac, battery bacpack, ton of mounts including suction, helment, head strap, chesty mount, etc.). I made a custom hat mount on a blaze baseball cap too... Haven't got to play with it much yet other than in-car, but curious if chest or head mounted is better for hunting...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Cool pics. I am looking into getting one of the new Gopro cameras. Mainly need something to replace my small diving camera.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good....I recommend the drift for hunting....no case needed. Slimmer profile so it fits on your head and the remote is a big advantage. I just wear it on my wrist and when I see my dog get birdy i click record...had the go pro but got tied of reaching for the button on my head and it getting knocked off in the grouse woods cause it stuck out. Just my two cents

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here's the custom hat mount i made for the gopro. Its surprisingly stout and very little shake. Got to wear the hat a little tighter than I would normally, but not uncomfortable. Camera doesn't stick out much and barely higher than cap profile. I was going to go with the Contour Roam2 b/c it was more aerodynamic, but couldn't pass up the deal I got on this with all accessories.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a bad set up at all...just think the drift cameras slimmer profile and remote made a better combo for what I was using it for....tried the go pro in the grouse woods a few times...just feel its better suited to more open environments... I had something like that for the go pro....the hat seemed to block some shots I had to wear it a certain way...pulled down and way too tight to be comfortable....with the drift it sits in a comfortable band on the side of my head and I can rotate the lense to get the best angle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here is how the drift camera sets up...I have it next to the water bottle to get a feel for the size...the remote for the wrist is the other item in the pic

As I said before if anyone is interested go the the drift website and use these promo codes
BIRDDOG- gets u $30 bucks off the HD 1080 or ghost

HUNT- gets u 100 in free accessories when u go with the ghost.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The drift looks pretty nice. The contour roam 2 was also nice for head mounting... both better than gopro in that facet.

The gopro is definitely "blocky". It's really not that heavy or awkward though until you start attaching the battery bacpac or lcd backpac. While i like those items, I take them off to wear it on the hat, just so its lighter. I've done some very brief tests in the yard and woods - but nothing I would call grouse woods yet. I think I can make it work, we'll see. I have the chest mount too, I just think when you mount a gun its going to block most of your shot, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
joutdoors said:
Sounds good....I recommend the drift for hunting....no case needed. Slimmer profile so it fits on your head and the remote is a big advantage. I just wear it on my wrist and when I see my dog get birdy i click record...had the go pro but got tied of reaching for the button on my head and it getting knocked off in the grouse woods cause it stuck out. Just my two cents
Since you posted the videos the other day I've been looking into the camera (as i'm considering purchasing a gopro).
This still needs a case to be waterproof... they sell the case on the site. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have used my go pro in the grouse woods. It just gets knocked around when its on your head. Also if you are ducking underneath or crawling through anything it's pointed at the ground. I think you might get better shot footage from your head, but it gets in the way. I use the chest mount for now. I do like the way you mounted it to your hat redrockin. It looks lower and more stable then the head strap. I don't have any shot footage with mine yet as its hard to get the cam turned on fast enough with a flushing dog. I have the battery backpack and the battery life is still really short.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brine..the case is needed for under water use...the camera housing itself is waterproof up to something like five meters or ft..can't remember...but as far as rain or snow you don't need the case...I had it out in the rain twice with no problems.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Springspan said:
I have the battery backpack and the battery life is still really short.
On 720p, 30fps, with the battery bacpac on (so 2 fully charged batteries) I got at least 3.5 hours of continuous recording the other day. Which conveniently filled up a 16GB SDHC card. I also have a 3rd battery and another card. I could get many hours (at least 5 I would say) of hunting recorded in a day, even if I let it run continuous?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I should change my settings. I am only getting 2 hours tops now. I like to leave the cam on so I can record at the push of a button. Do they make a solar power adapter. That would be great for waterfowl hunting so I could leave it on the whole hunt and just edit the video later.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, battery may fade quicker with the other settings - at least I assume so. Not sure, I just got it recently. I just know I got close to 4 hours on a batt + batt backpac... solar adapter would be nice if it was like battery bacpac... not sure exists though.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Only one I saw that states waterproof out of the box is the ghost...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts