The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.....I have always used round ball and 90gr. of FF out of my .54 cal. Hawken but am considering going to Powerbelts and Pyrodex. Have heard that there maybe issues with igniting the Pyeodex with pan powder and have heard both good and bad on the powerbelts.

What are your thoughts on the two out of a flintlock? Is it worth making the swith or should I stay with the patch and ball with FF?

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Guys that use it will put some pan powder (4F) down first then pyrodex...

My .02... not worth making the switch.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
CampHollow said:
I was told that black powder subs like pyrodex are better for inlines that have hotter ignition than flintlocks do.
You were told correct, however, they will work. But not as dependable

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have heard lots of good things about powerbelts and was planning on trying them today when i sighted in the smokepole but Walmart was outta them and the sporting goods store was closed already. Have never tried Pyrodex in my Flintlock

·
Banned
900 Posts
Powerbelts ( 245 aeroptips) have been great for me in my Lyman GP hunter. I use 2f 777 and put 5gr 3f black powder in front of it. No ignition issues at all. I made the switch for the ease of cleaning. It's all in what ya like. I do know though that without that 5gr 3f bp there is a noticable hang time before ignition. My uncle puts 10gr. 3f bp in front of his 2f 777 load in his TC and has great ignition also.

I use the speedloaders that have 2 compartments. I put the 3f in the compartment usually use for the bullet/ball and the main charge in the other end. Once I gave up on the idea that a 2nd shot was crucial it became easier to accept the longer loading time with the separate charges. It also made me a much better shot.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have trouble with accuracy with my Traditions 50cal Deerhunter after about 25-30 yards using patch and roundballs, hoping the powerbelts will make a difference when i get to try them

·
Banned
900 Posts
Have never shot the balls from the Deerhunter I have. I get good results with the powerbelts though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have never used powerbelts. But a few of my friends do and they have a problem making deer bleed. All good shots on the deer but very little to no blood to track. Most of them drop within 30 yards which is good.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Just keep in mind barrel twist while 1 in 66 shoots patched round balls nicely it may not be enough to stabalize the power belts. The 1 in 48 twist will accomodate both and the 1 in 28 twist barrels seem to be more suited for power belts and sabots

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
The subs have a high flash point of 700-900 degrees.This requires the hot spark of the inlines.Blackpowder has a flash point of 350 degrees.Keep real blackpowder in the flinters.The subs are also more corrosive than blackpowder.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I tried black powder substitutes and got hangfires in my flinter. And that is with using 4f Goex in the pan.

·
Registered
575 Posts
All the substitutes have a much higher ignition temp and that will cause hangfires or misfires. Duplexing a load can in the excitement of reloading in the field can be a potential for disaster. I have been flintlock hunting since the middle 70s and tried pyrodex once but didn't like it. I even had ignition problems using app 2f in a sidelock percussion plus it was weaker than any other powders.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
yup I will go with BP over the other stuff anyday. Not only does it shoot better in my flinter, it smells better too

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys!

Think I will stay with my Black Powder and Patch/ Round Ball.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts