The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I recieved a letter/order form from the Franklin Co. Conservation District about a seedling sale.Just wondering if anyone else has experience purchasing seedlings through their local conservation office.Thanks!!

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Warren County CD does not sell seedlings, but they sell a variety of nice 4-6' trees and although i do not buy them in the bulks I buy the seedlings...I love those bigger trees and had great luck with them.

I have got all my seedlings from the PAGC so far.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Every year I buy from Susquehanna, Wyoming, or Broome Co NY.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Yes, you do not have to be a county resident. Most of the CD sales are fundraisers so they like customers. However few ship, you have to pick them up.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
broknaero said:
They changed the PGC website. Can't find info on seedlings.
It will be up the beginning of January.

The Pa Game Commission's Howard Nursery will have seedlings for sale for spring 2010. Teh brochure is completed and at our printer (so many copies go to each region, various sport shows and up here to us to mail out to those w/ointernet). The brochure is in the hands of the IT people-goal is to have the website form live between Christmas and New Year. Website changes and changes in personnel may (but hopefully not) delay things. Pricing remains the same for 2010-this is not a money maker-its recovery of some of the production cost and getting the product out there to improve food and cover for wildlife. Variety will change somewhat each year. Some of these natives trees and shrubs can take 4-5 years to get out from teh time we collect the seed. All the hardwood seed is hand collected from PA sources.

This years list-White pine, mugo pine, red pine, white spruce, douglas fir, common elderberry, red elderberry, graystem dogwood, silky dogwood, flowering dogwood, nannyberry viburnum, American highbush cranberry, winterberry holy, button bush, comon alder, sawtooth oak, scrub oak, pin oak, red oak, black walnut, butternut, American hazelnut, black locust, American mountain ash, Hawthorne, asst. crabapple, American sweet crabapple, asst. standard apple, eastern redbud, bartlett pear, and seckel pear.

Orders will not be accepted until 01/04. Orders submitted over the internet thru the PGC website are preferred-we have only one phone line.

We are also continueing the "Seedlings for Schools" program for the third year. Last year we donated over 95,000 seedlings to 526 schools for educational and enviromental projects. We donate the seedlings and the Wildlife for Everyone Foundation solicits donations and covers the S&H costs. Notices will be going out to schools in PA shortly-but most that get involved in the program find out by word of mouth. If your on this site you have an interest in wildlife habitat. As soon as the information for the "Seedlings for Schools" program is put up on the website how about printing off some copies and sending to school with your kids, grand kids, neighbor kids, etc.

Cliff Guindon
Pa Game Commission
Howard Nursery

1 - 12 of 12 Posts