The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of the table that I just finished for our kitchen. It is an Ash top, stained Cherry.

Running the boards through the planer.

After planing and joining, getting the boards aligned is aided by biscuit joints. biscuit joints are only used for ease of alignment, the true strength of the joints comes from the gluing.

gluing up the top and clamping

The top after drying, and ready for finishing.

Ash is an open grained wood, so here is a slurry made of the sanding dust and tung oil, it got 5 coats.

ready for stain after squaring up the top

let the staining begin

First of three coats of stain

Attaching the apron to the table top. Pocket joints for the apron.

Fine sanded the top with 440, then applied 5 coats of water based poly. Here is the finished product.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
beautiful! thanks for taking the time to post!

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
If I can ask a question...
Why water based poly? Which one leaves rings from cold drinks?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A couple of reasons. Water based poly won't yellow and darken over time, it is more durable, and since my shop is connected to my house, no fumes to deal with. The coats go on thinner, but with a 2 hour drying time between coats it is not a problem. It is waterproof, but I would not put a hot pan on it, or leave water on it.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Hunter thank you. And after reading the wording used to ask my question I apologize. It could have been asked nicer.
The table looks awesome. -SL

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing wrong with your wording, no need to apologize! Thank you for the compliment!

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Bearschlayer, mine is looking over my shoulder going "that would look good in the new house...".

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drop me a pm. I am making end tables for someone in that same color scheme too. The black with the cherry colored top really looks nice.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Very nice looking table.

My wife and I were just looking at tables very similar to yours in design, which we are thinking about getting to replace our old kitchen table, and were looking a some of the custom made ones at Martin's Furniture in Farmersville, PA. They had several that were quite similar to yours, but with curly maple tops and a cherry stain.

·
Super Moderator
2,485 Posts
so you put tung oil on before stain?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With open grained woods such as Ash, make a slurry of fine sanding dust and tung oil. Work that into the wood and sand between applications with a very fine grit sandpaper for a smooth as glass finish. It fills the open grain prior to final finish. Thanks for the compliments guys.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Would you ever consider building one with a leaf in the middle? Only need a larger table a couple times a year...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts